Genealogy Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

Newcastle On Tyne Prison

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Mary

Mary Report 3 Oct 2004 23:56

I have found a name in the 1881 census for someone in the Newcastle prison. How can I find more details on this person Mary

Unknown

Unknown Report 3 Oct 2004 23:59

Presumably you have the age of the person on the census, so that will help you to find their birth cert, and therefore their parents. You can find out where the prison register is kept (it might be in the local record office) which will tell you when and why the person was imprisoned and when/if they were released. You can then look for the trial record (at The National Archives). Then you can look for a death cert. nell

Mary

Mary Report 4 Oct 2004 00:11

Thank you Nell. I will E mail the archives service. Mary

Martin

Martin Report 4 Oct 2004 12:53

I did a search on VIVISIMO (I don't think much of GOOGLE!) http : // freepages . genealogy . rootsweb . c o m / ~tynesidehistory / execution.html It was in Carliol Square. Opened 1832 Previously there was a Newgate Gaol in Newcastle Martin (I get really annoyed at GR petty restrictions on posting URL's and so corrupting any posted)

Mary

Mary Report 4 Oct 2004 23:14

Martin, Thank you for replying to my request.the prison was in Carliol Square. Unfortunately it looks as if I will have to go to the Record Office to search these. thanks Mary Just looked on Family History Site and they have film of quarter Session Minute bk. 1864-1875. I have added this so if anyone else is interested in finding Court Records and cant get to record office you may find them at the Family History Site.