Genealogy Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

Any ideas please?

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Sue

Sue Report 3 Oct 2004 16:38

Im trying to find out where GG grandparents were in 1871 and 1891 but cannot find them! I have tried free BMD/census etc and Ancestry. Im pretty certain they were in Sussex at Redford/Woolbeding as they were there in 1861, 1881 and 1901! FIGG John aged 26 on 1861 census FIGG Charlotte aged 28 on 1861 census FIGG Charlotte aged 1month on 1861 census Other children I know about are George, William,Thomas, Caroline and Fanny. Any ideas where else I can look for them? Thanks Sue

John

John Report 3 Oct 2004 16:40

Have you tried various spellings of the name?

Sue

Sue Report 3 Oct 2004 16:42

I have done the different spellings thing on Ancestry, but still no joy.

Heather

Heather Report 3 Oct 2004 16:47

Have you tried Rootsweb site for Sussex? There is a brilliant chap on there who is a Sussex genealogist. He did look ups for me back to 1841 census and from there gave me parish record info. Have a go.

cazzabella

cazzabella Report 3 Oct 2004 16:48

Hi Susan, Unfortunately Sussex isn't listed on Ancestry's 1871 census, so hopefully, when they do include it, you will find them there as expected. Go to the search page for 1871 and you'll find a list of available counties to search. Also, you don;t have to rely on the indexes (which I've found to be terrible for some names or places). If you think they should be there, you could try searching the census manually. Follow the link for Sussex, then look ofr the parish you are interested in and you can search through the enumeration district, page by page. They may have been mistranscribed, or missed off the index. Best wishes, Cazza

Jonathan B

Jonathan B Report 3 Oct 2004 17:01

Just a slight word of warning on census entries - they merely show where people were on census night, not necessarily where they were living. So your relatives may have been staying with someone else. Admittedly, that would be quite unusual for them to be away on 2 different censuses. That, or they may have been trying to avoid the census in those 2 years! Jonathan

Sue

Sue Report 3 Oct 2004 17:11

Thanks for your replies. Am trying out the ideas! Someone had already found Fanny for me, and I have just found her myself with looking at the Parish rather than the name. I didn't realise they might not all be on the indexes. Did people really avoid the census?! I find it hard to believe that all this lot were somewhere else lol. They were definately illiterate, so who knows.... Sue

Heather

Heather Report 3 Oct 2004 18:31

Hi, my Great Grandfather was missing on several census because he was a sailor. I dare say quite a few people are missing for similar reasons.