Genealogy Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

norton- what do i do ?pay up- or shop around ?

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Sue Lambrini Smith

Sue Lambrini Smith Report 3 Oct 2004 11:22

hi all. i have had this computer for about 3 months, it came with a norton disc. this morning my computer has informed me - i have to pay £24 to continue my norton subscription. do i pay, ar are there better deals to be had ? i know absolutely nothing about any of this. my old computer ran for 5 years without any protection at all, mind you by the end of its life it had more viruses than the local hospital.lol. advice needed please. thanks, sue.

David

David Report 3 Oct 2004 11:50

I have had my PC for about 6 years and still use the original Norton Antivirus. After the initial 5 years I could not automatically update. But, you can get around this by going to Symantec Home Page and downloding Virus Definition Update. This takes about 10 mins. and then you can update your virus protection. Roy (David)

Wayne the boy from OZ

Wayne the boy from OZ Report 3 Oct 2004 12:09

You dont want to get hit by a virus some of which can ruin your hard drive so all your work would be lost. So virus protection of some sought is a must. You can down load free anti virus software from here. http(:)//www(.)grisoft(.)com/us/us_index(.)php - Remove the brackets - or if you want to email me I can tell you of a work around so you can keep using your norton. lawrence at nlc(.)net(.)au Wayne

Carol

Carol Report 3 Oct 2004 12:34

I use the free one AVG from Grisoft. I found Norton to be more trouble than it is worth. Sometimes thought that some of the viruses were coming from the anti virus software sellers , but that is me being cynical. I agree that you do need protection though and I have never had any problems with AVG In the meantime, I think there is a free virus scan online at Panda, not sure of the web address though.

Rita

Rita Report 3 Oct 2004 13:50

Hi Sue, couple of ways round this,unistall the norton & then reinstall from your disc, then you get your free updates again :)) or you can pay the yearly subscription of about £20 Either way it's worth it as the Norton is a very good antivirus. I have used a few & found the Norton the best so far. Hope this is of some help Rita

Heather

Heather Report 3 Oct 2004 13:55

If you go to the Mcaffee site you can download a program called Stinger, free of charge. You can run it through your pc to see if there are any viruses and then nuke them. However, best to stop them before they get on your pc. I had my whole system wiped out once when one of son's friends put on a disc he had downloaded from net. Scream.

Lisa

Lisa Report 3 Oct 2004 17:48

Don't know whether this will help but I downloaded a three month free trial of Norton off the www. Was due to expire on 3.8.04 - I had an email asking me whether I wanted to pay for the full version. I didn't and ignored the email - but good old Norton still runs everyday! Lisa

AnninGlos

AnninGlos Report 3 Oct 2004 17:55

Lisa, But are you getting the updates? If not what happens when there is a new virus and your version of Norton is not updated to deal with it. having had my complete hard drive wiped because my computer locked up in Feb I am very wary. Ann Glos

Carol

Carol Report 3 Oct 2004 18:10

You would have thought that all those nerds writing viruses would put their knowledge to something constructive. Cant see the point of circulating viruses when you cant see the reaction of the recipient.

Dawn

Dawn Report 3 Oct 2004 18:33

We gave up on Norton last year as we had too many problems with it. Hubby has AVG at work so we now have it at home and it seems to work better than Norton. Dawn

BobClayton

BobClayton Report 3 Oct 2004 18:48

Sue, listen to the lad down the road. The worst thing that can happen is that your computer totally becomes unusable. If you have your personal data saved then it does not matter. You will (at least) have a restore disk which will reset your PC to "as new". I totally believe that Norton and all the others( buy me or your pc will explode) are all a rip off merchants, playing on peoples fears. There is (and never can be) any virus that can render a pc unrepairable. I would stick with AVG or Avast (my favorite) on and stuff Norton. You can get a full XP SP2 install disk for around £60 so why pay them £24 for what may never happen? Bob

Sue Lambrini Smith

Sue Lambrini Smith Report 3 Oct 2004 19:55

hi all, have just got in. thanks for all your help. am so glad i didnt pay up this morning ! seems to be a few choices i have, i have 17 days before mine runs out, so will read through your replies and sort something out with your help . again many many thanks, sue.

Unknown

Unknown Report 3 Oct 2004 21:41

Hi Sue If you look up Judy in the States' thread about 1-stop PC maintenance, she's a professional and gives some good recommendations. Mandy :)

Kim

Kim Report 3 Oct 2004 22:49

having tried to renew Norton and spent £30 and not been able to and been all round their site I would recomment Avg have had no problems at all. Kim

Maz (the Royal One) in the East End 9256

Maz (the Royal One) in the East End 9256 Report 3 Oct 2004 22:50

Would thoroughly recommend Norton Antivirus and Firewall - have never had a single problem. We are about to renew ours for the 3rd time. Maz. XX

Sheila

Sheila Report 4 Oct 2004 07:37

hi sue i obtained my protection with my broadband from b.t.