Genealogy Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

PAF to GR

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Nanna Gaynor  (June nr Preston's Daughter)

Nanna Gaynor (June nr Preston's Daughter) Report 30 Sep 2004 10:22

I am wondering if there is anything I can do.... I have built my tree using PAF5 on my pc at home. I have also begun to add my relatives to GR (although I am not up to date with this). It is painstakingly slow and also not that effective when printing. I would like to have my tree here also however, as it is an excellent way of making contact with unknown rellies. Is there anyway, I can delete the tree I have built on GR and put my tree from PAF directly on to GR? Hopefully G xxx

Wayne the boy from OZ

Wayne the boy from OZ Report 30 Sep 2004 10:31

Give me the URL's to the 2 sites that you mention and I will look at them. If they are standalon on your PC then you should be able to save the file as a Gedcom file. This can then be uploaded in to any other genealogy program. Wayne

Susanne

Susanne Report 30 Sep 2004 10:32

On the left of the page it says Import/Export Tree, from there you can delete your tree and import your PAF file. It must be easy because even I can do it!!! Sue:-)

Susanne

Susanne Report 30 Sep 2004 10:35

By the way, PAF is already in Gedcom format cause I have mine there too :-)) Sue:-)

Unknown

Unknown Report 30 Sep 2004 12:04

Hi Gaynor Ann, hope you're feeling a bit better. I have my tree on PAF5, but am being given Family Tree Maker for Christmas. So I started to browse this site for info on how to put my GR tree onto FTM (can print it out in book format then!), and if you look at where Susanne suggests, it does tell you how to import and export your trees. It looks straightforward, but then it will have to be for me lol! Good luck, Mandy :)

Nanna Gaynor  (June nr Preston's Daughter)

Nanna Gaynor (June nr Preston's Daughter) Report 30 Sep 2004 13:50

Thanks Susanne - I will give it a go.... just checking everything to make sure I have everyone in the right places before I go ahead........ I agree Mandy, it has to be idiot proof for me too lol _________ Thanks Wayne will get back to you if I have any probs G xxx