Genealogy Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

Finding a birth.

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Sidami

Sidami Report 29 Sep 2004 23:30

Can someone please tell me where I go from here, I am tracing my family with the name Wood they came from Edenham in Lincolnshire they were stone masons, the furthest I go back is to a John Wood bn abt 1791 with information from census's. Now John's wife and children were all from that area, but I have had information passed down to me that John was a stone mason in Selby Yorks, well I have had a look at the IGI and there is not a John Wood bn Selby loads bn in Yorkshire with the name of John Wood so what do I do next where will I be able to find his bab? Sue......hoping someone can lead me in the right direction for this one.

Carol

Carol Report 30 Sep 2004 00:03

Have you tried the Family History Society for the area, as they sometimes have transcripts of parish records for sale. Also the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter Day Saints have some on film, and any family history centre will order the film for you for the cost of two way postage. I have had a look and they have the following for Selby and not all are on the IGI St Marys Selby Christenings 1746-1792 Marriages 1746-1792 Burials 1746-1792 FHL BRITISH Film 991088 St Germans Selby Christenings 1793-1838 Marriages 1793-1837 Burials 1793-1837 FHL BRITISH Film 991089 Parish Church of Brayton, Yorkshire Christenings 1838-1860 Burials 1838-1860 FHL BRITISH Film 991090 Hope this is of help to you

Phoenix

Phoenix Report 30 Sep 2004 00:03

You need to look at Lincolnshire parish registers to start with, to see if John was baptised in his birth parish. You could also try looking at the familyhistoryonline site. That has several different sorts of records for Lincolnshire, including settlement certificates. People who moved about the country often had settlement examinations to establish where they came from so they could be sent back to the parish of settlement if they fell on hard times. You have to register to join the site, but you don't have to pay anything to search the indexes, only if you actually think the entries are worth looking at. Brenda

Carol

Carol Report 30 Sep 2004 00:07

To look for films yourself go to http://www(.)familysearch(.)org/Eng/Library/fhlcatalog/supermainframeset.asp?display=localitysearch&columns=*,0,0

Sidami

Sidami Report 30 Sep 2004 13:23

Thankyou Brenda and Carol for your help. Regards Sue.............