Genealogy Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

Importing Gedcom into GeRe

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

David

David Report 28 Sep 2004 21:54

I've been complaining on these boards over the past 2 months that GeRe was not reading my Gedcom correctly, resulting in 150 names being missed and all marriages being missed as well. Support have now come up with the problem - one of my name fields had 52 characters, whereas the maximum accepted by GeRe is 50, and this made a mess of the whole file. I've just reduced the field to less than 50, and have successfully uploaded my tree, all 2500 people being present and correct, and all marriages and spouses in the right places as well. And they kindly extended my membership for the time it took them to find the fault. Thought others with similar uploading problems might be interested David

Jubal

Jubal Report 29 Sep 2004 18:22

Hello David, I too am having major problems uploading my tree to GR. Perhaps I ought to give your method a go. Sorry to sound incredibly thick, but where do I check the 50 characters? Best Wishes, Julie

Amanda

Amanda Report 30 Sep 2004 02:22

Hi David, I'm interested as well, I have had a problem updating mine now and I have only about 140 in my tree. I await your reply to Julie's question. Amanda.

Heather

Heather Report 30 Sep 2004 18:10

Do you have to remove all the info from GR before uploading your ged com to it? And how do you do that please.

Jubal

Jubal Report 30 Sep 2004 18:43

Hi Heather, You can be the only person in your tree before you can upload your gedcom. If you go to Import/Export Tree (on the left), you can see there how to delete your tree so you are the only one on it. Julie

David

David Report 1 Oct 2004 22:58

It was GR who told me who the offending individual was in my tree, so I knew exactly where to go. To be honest, there aren't likely to be many individuals with a name field in excess of 50 characters - mine was a medieval minor aristocrat, Lord of this that and the other place, and I had added his title. None of my ag labs caused a problem at all. It just goes to show that it's the aristocracy that screw things up for us!

Jubal

Jubal Report 2 Oct 2004 09:56

Hi, I now have my tree uploaded (thanks to Estelle from GR). It was nothing to do with having a name of more than 50 characters, just me being thick! Julie