Genealogy Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

How do I Find Out Which One Is Mine?

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Carol

Carol Report 27 Sep 2004 20:47

See below

Carol

Carol Report 27 Sep 2004 20:48

I have found a baptism in 1815 for Jane Champion, and the date matches with her age and place of birth in the 1851 census. Parents named as William and Ann Looking for her parents marriage, I got a look up from the S&DFHS marriage index, that came up with 2 possibles. A William Champion married Ann Hawkins 1804 East Brent A William Dudderidge Champion married Ann Brown 1814 Bridgewater. Jane was born Huntspill, so is there any way to be sure that one of these couples is Jane`s Parents, if either of them. According to Genuki, East Brent and Bridgewater are both 5 miles from Huntspill, so that doesn`t help much. Has anyone got any other ideas where I can look next to verify this please.

Carol

Carol Report 27 Sep 2004 21:12

Thank you Julie, that does give something else to go on. The parents deaths seem favourite at the moment, as even if I do find other births with parents William and Ann, I wouldnt know for sure if they were siblings. Also, as the second marriage I was given gave a 2nd first name for the husband, I would have thought he would have used it at his childs baptism as well. Just typing as I think here, and working out various directions to go, based on your suggestions Julie.

Angela

Angela Report 28 Sep 2004 14:50

I would look at the birth dates of any siblings and find out the birth date of the oldest. Most couples started breeding soon after they were married, if they had not already started beforehand!

Zoe

Zoe Report 28 Sep 2004 15:12

what are the parents ages on the 1851? are they too young to be getting married in 1804 and therefore ruling that coupl out? sorry if you've already thought of this Zoe

Carol

Carol Report 28 Sep 2004 17:16

Thank you Jim, why didnt I think of the IGI. Someone else on here has a Sarah b. 1816 so it looks possible that they were sisters. Once I have all the Somerset info compiled I will make my way to the Somerset Records Office and look at the actual records. In 1851, Jane wasnt with her parents but working as a cook. She married my GG Grandfather shortly after the census in 1851.

Montmorency

Montmorency Report 28 Sep 2004 17:36

baptism records from 1813 on should give residence and father's occupation, so if there were two couples, you have a good chance of separating them But there's also the possibility that the Williams were the same man