Genealogy Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

British Empire births

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Michelle

Michelle Report 25 Sep 2004 20:18

Can someone out there point a novice in the right direction... I have an ancestor Richard John Neary born approx 1862, and in the 1891,1901 census returns he lists his place of birth as "East Indies" and "India (British)" He lived in London by 1891 but alone. Is there any way of tracking down his birth certificate, or his family history? The IGI only gives me another Neary of similar age also born India, so possibly a brother, but at the moment I have drawn a blank on this line of my tree. Would be grateful for any advice on researching family history where members have moved to and from parts of the British Empire then back to England.

Heather

Heather Report 25 Sep 2004 22:27

Hello. Just read this post as I too have relations born in the East Indies and have found the reference details for all 3 of them. I have been banging my head against a brickwall with these relations for ages!!!!! Does anyone know if I can I obtain birth certificates with these references????

Unknown

Unknown Report 25 Sep 2004 22:41

People born British may be listed in the overseas section of the GRO. You can find the reference and then order the certificate. Please see: www.gro.gov.uk/gro/content/research/searchingforoverseasrecords/index.asp#0 for more information. Additionally, if your ancestors were connected with the East India Company, there are a lot of their records available at The British Library. Please see Mark Herber's book "Ancestral Trails" (in libraries and bookshops) for more info. nell

Unknown

Unknown Report 26 Sep 2004 10:50

I think most of that onfo will be found in Kew in the Nat Arch but they only do personal visits for searching to my knowledge. I was born in Singapore and we came under the Colonial Office, still classified as British Subjects. Mary in Sydney

Michelle

Michelle Report 28 Sep 2004 00:30

Thanks ladies for your advice - still haven't found my man, but hopefully it will be included in one of the "coming soon" sections on the National Archivist site.