Genealogy Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

Nat Arch - medals?

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Sylvia

Sylvia Report 25 Sep 2004 01:03

Has anyone bought the images from the WW1 medals site please? It seems to be quite cheap, but i was wondering what sort of info was on the medal cards. Sylvia

Sylvia

Sylvia Report 25 Sep 2004 01:26

OK I just answered my own question by reading the wbsite properly Now all I need is for them to finish the T-W section

Craig

Craig Report 25 Sep 2004 09:41

I downloaded one medal card and it had virtually nothing other than a name, number and regiment. Having said that, it was enough for a friend of mine to take it to Kew and find 40 pages of military records for my g.grandfather - a bargain if you've picked the right medal card!

Vanessa

Vanessa Report 25 Sep 2004 09:44

I was wondering about this myself. How does one know if one has the right ancester? Even with relatively unusual names there seem to be a lot of entries. For instance, the name of my grandfather Arthur Restall has a fair number of listings. Is there any info on the card itself which would prove whether you have the correct one?

Sylvia

Sylvia Report 25 Sep 2004 10:05

I managed to find a great uncle that died on the CWGC site so was able to get his service number from there, so I know that's the right one. the others are a bit hard though as there are several with the same name

Unknown

Unknown Report 25 Sep 2004 12:35

If you look out for Sandra Crompton on the boards, she has successfully downloaded the medal card for her late father this week. I then tried to find my grandfather on there but only had his initial and they wanted £10 for a postal copy. I didn't understand what was on the document, and I'm not too sure about paying £10 for something that might not be his after all! I'd be grateful if anyone had any advice on this. Thanks, Mandy :)

Carole

Carole Report 25 Sep 2004 13:01

You really need a fair idea of what regiment your ancestor was in. I downloaded my grandfather's index card. There were 6 on the page. It gives name, regiment, rank, serial number and lists which medals were awarded when. It also sometimes details which Theatre of War first served in and the date of entry, plus other remarks. If anyone would like to see it to give them an idea, send me a message with your email address and I will send it to you. I am just off to Spurs v Man U though, so you won't get a reply until tonight. Carole I'm back - we were cheated! ;-(((

Ian

Ian Report 27 Sep 2004 10:29

Sylvia WW1 medals - any chance you (or a relative) has the actual medals? If so, his name/rank/army number and regiment will be on the rim of the British War Medal (Silver) and the Victory Medal (Bronze). Otherwise it is unlikely the medal card will be able to identify the correct individual if you do not know more than his name. Do you have any middle names, which might show a difference from other individuals? Any photographs of him in uniform with regimental badge visible? Otherwise you won't know unless you pay - like a lot of the ancestry research, you pays yer money and takes yer chance! Ian