Genealogy Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

WW1 Medals Roll - Now up to T!

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Phoenix

Phoenix Report 24 Sep 2004 20:46

The Medals Roll is now virtually complete up to the letter R, and all my Skillings are on it! Lots more names than in WO363. You can find it online at: http[:]//www[.]documentsonline[.]nationalarchives[.]gov[.]uk [Remove brackets] Enjoy! Brenda

Jean Durant

Jean Durant Report 24 Sep 2004 21:38

Brenda, Can you help me. Looked on there for my grandfather Andrew Hogg Ross. However, they do not give middle names only initials. There are 3 Andrew H. Ross. Have no idea what regiment Grandad was in. If I download one of them will the other 2 be on the same page, or have I got to download the three separately which will cost me £10.50. If I do that any gurantee I will be able to tell which one is mine. Jean x.

Phoenix

Phoenix Report 24 Sep 2004 22:02

All three Andrew H Ross have the same number, so they should be on the same sheet. There is no guarantee that Andrew would have used his middle name, so that would widen the field a bit. Something clicks off in my brain when I see the word army. The men on the site will be much better at helping than I am, but it seems that the regiments are a guide to where the men came from. Two of those Rosses look as if they were Scots. My dial up connection keeps breaking and I can't download an image of the cards. Have a look at their example to see what they hold. Where the records survive, the details in WO363 are much better, but they're not online. Brenda

Jean Durant

Jean Durant Report 24 Sep 2004 22:07

Brenda, Thank you so much for your reply. Funny thing is my Grandfather was a Scot but lived in London. Will have a look at the specimen card as you suggested (the obvious never seems to occur to me for some reason). Once again thanks for your time and trouble. Jean x.

Unknown

Unknown Report 24 Sep 2004 23:20

I'm still waiting for W!!!!

Unknown

Unknown Report 24 Sep 2004 23:40

Someone else on GR mentioned this site to me - they had downloaded details of their dad's medals for £3.50. When I looked for my grandad on there, it only gave his first initial not the full name and the cost was £10 for a posted copy. I couldn't understand what exactly it was I'd be paying for! The surname is fairly unusual but it still seems to be a risk to pay £10 when it might not be him. Can anyone help me on this? Many thanks, Mandy :)

Unknown

Unknown Report 25 Sep 2004 00:52

Mandy I paid £3 recently to download the info. It took just a few minutes as I paid by debit card on a secure site. (Very sure of relative as unusual surname). What you get is 6 index cards, one of which would be your probable relative. Mine just gave his name, regiment and the medals he was entitled to, but I noticed on some of the others that it had details about when they had enlisted, been discharged, wounded, etc. So its not very much info, but if it is a direct descendent, it might be worth a go. nell

Craig

Craig Report 25 Sep 2004 09:49

I paid 3.50 and I was dissapointed to just get an image of 6 cards (I think) with names, regiments and regiment numbers on them. Having said that, it was enough for a friend to find me 40 pages of records for my g.grandfather. I was absolutely delighted. In themselves though, the medal cards seem a lot of money for not lot a lot of info especially if you can visit Kew to get to the records behind the cards. I think the medal cards can be searched free of charge at Kew. Strikes me as a bit of a lucky dip.