Genealogy Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

1881 Scotland census

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Anne

Anne Report 23 Sep 2004 16:49

Why does the 1881 census from LDS not cover Scotland? Anne

Caroline

Caroline Report 23 Sep 2004 17:24

Anne Don't know why they don't have it - but it is on Scotlands People website Caroline

Anne

Anne Report 23 Sep 2004 18:54

Yes, it is - I can't afford the SP web site though! I have already wasted loads on wild goosechases there - it's infuriating! Thanks anyway.

Seasons

Seasons Report 23 Sep 2004 19:01

have you tried scotsorigins*com for OPR's births and marriages. Its the LDS IGI where you can search by county and place for free. I use it in conjunction with scotlandspeople and find it very useful especially for cross referencing.

Susan

Susan Report 23 Sep 2004 19:37

Hi Anne I have the 1881 census for Scotland and will always look anything up for you. I am away this week end but if you send me an email I will check it out when I get back. Susan

Wendy

Wendy Report 24 Sep 2004 11:05

The Register House people wouldn't let the LDS put the Scottish 1881 census online for free when they could get money out of it.That's even though the LDS transcribed it! Wendy

Unknown

Unknown Report 24 Sep 2004 11:40

ANNE Have mailed you She

Anne

Anne Report 8 Oct 2004 21:21

Thanks to all who replied - have been on hol - will follow up suggestions. It's certainly easier looking for English relatives! Anne

Unknown

Unknown Report 16 Oct 2004 19:57

Hi Anne, Having done many family searches in many countries, I believe the the Scottish records are far easier and quicker to check than anywhere else in the world. We can print original images of certifcates on-line for a £1 each (50p if you go the New Register House). Where else can you do that :o)) I know that there are many members who wished that they had more relatives in Scotland Happy searching to all. Regards Margaret

Anne

Anne Report 16 Oct 2004 23:00

Really? I know you can get wonderful info WHEN you know who youre looking for - I admit that. I just dont have the cash to speculate! I find that a combination on LDS and BMD and the english 1901 census (looking at refs without paying!) are so much better. Looking for Scottish ancestors is a real pain (apart from those in Arran who I can get on Freecen - Bute 100% done for 1841 and 1851 census). I find it insulting that we have to pay to see 1881 that LDS have done and you can get free for England. (thanks to those who have offered me that service - much appreciated). It just seems that you have to really know a lot before you pay - I can't afford that much I'm sorry to say. Sorry to sound mean - I know before these wonderful sites on the internet you had to pay for so much more.... Anne