Genealogy Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

Occupation - Plaiter?

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Pat

Pat Report 22 Sep 2004 18:23

I see on the 1871 census that a female relative's occupation is given as Plaiter. There are a couple more on the same page, also married women. Any ideas as to what this might have been? The location is Hertfordshire. Many thanks Pat

Pat

Pat Report 22 Sep 2004 18:30

Many thanks Peter. Her husband was an Ag Lab, so I suppose it fits! Pat

Geoff

Geoff Report 22 Sep 2004 18:50

There is an article and a picture here on "the Straw Plaiters of Hertfordshire" http://www.hertfordshire-genealogy.*co.uk/data/occupations/straw-plait.htm (remove the *)

David

David Report 22 Sep 2004 19:16

The plait was sent to Luton to be used in the straw hat making industry, hence it was a major occupation for women in Beds and Herts.

Pat

Pat Report 22 Sep 2004 22:20

Thanks Geoff, it's fascinating to find out some details about a part of your tree that you knew nothing about - really brings the past to life! Pat

Angela

Angela Report 24 Sep 2004 09:53

I have plaiters in my family too and from what I am told Peter is correct Angie