Genealogy Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

IGI RECORDS

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Margaretfinch

Margaretfinch Report 22 Sep 2004 12:08

Hi does anyone else get the problem of finding a marraige on the IGI and not getting the womans maiden name. I have had several of these, anyone know the reason why? and if it is before 1837 it is rather a let down. Margaret

Unknown

Unknown Report 22 Sep 2004 12:11

Hi Margaret I had the same prob and someone told me that it wasn't usual practice to put the maiden name on the recs until post 1910 or so but I'm not sure whether that's accurate or not!

Guinevere

Guinevere Report 22 Sep 2004 12:27

Hi, It may be that the submitter guessed at the marriage date from the baptism of the first child. Maifen names are often not given at baptisms. Check the original records. Gwynne

Rosalind in Madeira

Rosalind in Madeira Report 22 Sep 2004 13:04

I think this may be due to who has submitted the record. If it is taken from the Parish Records then you should get the womans surname. If it has been submitted by a memeber of the LDS then as said before they tended to guess at the date and the location. Sometimes the wife's name is given as Mrs.... Ros