Genealogy Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

Need Help

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Unknown

Unknown Report 22 Sep 2004 11:50

If I go onto google and search for the surname Light, how do I do it so that I don't keep getting trillions of sights on light bulbs. Lin

Guinevere

Guinevere Report 22 Sep 2004 11:52

Hi, Try "genealogy Light" or "family history light" Gwynne

Unknown

Unknown Report 22 Sep 2004 13:16

Hello Gwynneth I've tried and Genealogy/Family History brings up "Light Infantry" Anything to do with description of colour. Thanks anyway Gwynneth - I'll just have to narrow the 54,000 down Lin

Joy

Joy Report 22 Sep 2004 13:21

You could try "genealogy+Light". There is a surname website. I'll try to look for it later when home from work. Joy

Geoff

Geoff Report 22 Sep 2004 13:25

http://boards.ancestry.*com/mbexec?htx=board&r=rw&p=surnames.light http://genforum.genealogy.*com/light/ (Mostly American of course)

SheilaSomerset

SheilaSomerset Report 22 Sep 2004 14:46

Also, try "light surname"

Seasons

Seasons Report 22 Sep 2004 15:05

http://rat*de/kuijsten/navigator/uk/index.html Could try the surname navigator web site above

Unknown

Unknown Report 22 Sep 2004 15:17

Thanks Chaps will have a good rummage have a good one Lin

Joy

Joy Report 22 Sep 2004 21:04

I think these are the correct website addresses for surnames lists, and hope that they may be of help. www(.)county-surnames(.)co(.)uk genuki(.)org(.)uk/indexes/SurnamesLists - remove the brackets. Joy

Christine in Herts

Christine in Herts Report 23 Sep 2004 17:02

You could try putting whole names into inverted commas so that Google treats them as an item - e.g. "Richard Light" or "Joseph Light". That narrows it down a lot! Or if you put the names the other way round "Light Richard" that will allow for lists where the surname is shown first. And you could add a county, like Sussex, or a town-name to reduce the bulk still more. Or even "gedcom"! Or some combinations of these and what's been suggested already. Also, if you put "-" in front of a word then the search will exclude sites with that word. One of my family names is "Christmas", so I exclude "gift". there's a small risk of missing a site with something useful - but without excluding it you might not get that far down the list anyway! Christine

Zoe

Zoe Report 23 Sep 2004 17:09

just to the left of the search bar is an option to advanced search you can specify that you don't want the word bulb