Genealogy Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

PRINTING MY TREE

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

sweetylady

sweetylady Report 19 Sep 2004 23:49

can anyone tell me how to print me family tree from friends every time i try i just get half the first page nothing else i would love to see the tree down on paper plastered to my bedroom wall I have 300 people on it.. some still to go but can not imagine now what it looks like. or do i have to do it all over again on another site to achieve this?? CAN ANYONE HELP or should we suggest a new feature???? sharon

Susan

Susan Report 20 Sep 2004 06:43

Change your page set up from portrait to landscape, I had the same problem until hubby did that for me Sue

Unknown

Unknown Report 20 Sep 2004 07:29

Sharon, Kevin is right - it's advisable to put your tree in other places too. The GR site was out of action all last weekend, meaning that nobody could do any work on their trees, then when it came back, all the information in the 'notes' boxes was missing. I've got mine on PAF (downloaded from the LDS site) and also now putting everything on paper as well for an extra back-up. Mandy :)

Martin

Martin Report 20 Sep 2004 07:37

I agree that you shouldn get yourself a family tree program. I use LEGACY but everyone has their own preferences. LEGACY will run without some options without registration, LDS's PAF is free and there are others that will run free. Record every little detail in the progam and record the source. You can then either print the tree from the program, use a third party program to print directly or export to a GEDCOM and then get a program to print that. I find that I rarely print out my tree - it is far too big! I often export a small export into a text format of the tree so I can to someone in an EMail but that will just have one of two generations that they might be relevant to them. More useful nowadays is the ability to export to HTML which you can put it on a CD to send to someone so they can view using their browser. There are commercial companies that will print out trees in large format but you need to to be able to send them a GEDCOM so again you need a proper family tree program. Martin