Genealogy Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

Help re Messages Please

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Nicola

Nicola Report 19 Sep 2004 17:36

I cant believe that out of 17 messages left in the last couple of weeks that not a single one has replied ???? I am now wondering if I am doing something wrong ...does anyone else have the same problem please? Nikki

Lorraine (Lorr)

Lorraine (Lorr) Report 19 Sep 2004 17:48

Hi I've just sent out some messages and was quite excited to think someone 'might' be in touch but looking at people's non-feedback I think I might take a deep breath and not be so hopeful? x

Tallulah

Tallulah Report 19 Sep 2004 19:34

Nikki, It happens to all of us, try not to let it bother you, and take heart that you will receive some replies.......eventually :-) Tricia

Karen

Karen Report 19 Sep 2004 20:33

Hi Nikki When I first joined GR I to sent out a few messages to people looking for or having the same surname as me. I only received 1 back! I think this is because unless these people have re-registered they don't have the facility/permissions to reply to your message (if they received them at all?). Don't give up hope... it happens to us all (well me anyway) :)

Joy

Joy Report 19 Sep 2004 20:53

It happens too much I'm sorry to say. But have no idea why. Joy

Nicola

Nicola Report 20 Sep 2004 17:36

Oh well thanks for telling me every body. It seems I have to persevere! P.S. I know it does really work cos of the kind chap who sent me a message to prove it !

Janice

Janice Report 20 Sep 2004 21:38

The past eight people that I have sent messages to have not replied - and yet they had only just put their relatives onto the site! After all the work of putting their family tree on you would think that they would be eager to follow up any leads. I will keep trying though as I have found some really lovely previously unknown relatives through the site that I know it is all worthwhile.

Kathleen

Kathleen Report 21 Sep 2004 12:20

Unfortunately it is possible to put your Family Tree on the site without being a full member. Thus people who just add their tree would not be able to reply or add messages unless they subscribe to become full members. Seems like a pointless excercise to me. Why waste all that time if you can't make contacts? Kathleen

Angela

Angela Report 21 Sep 2004 16:09

Hi Nicola - I think it is just common courtesy to reply to someone if they have taken the time to send you a message, even if it is just to acknowledge it and say that you can't help. Obviously courtesy is a bit thin on the ground these days! Regards - Angela

Anne

Anne Report 21 Sep 2004 17:02

I even sent a message to someone who had just, that day, put a message on the 'trying to find' board and didn't get a reply! There's nowt so queer as folk as my ancestors surely said!! Anne

Kim from Sandhurst

Kim from Sandhurst Report 21 Sep 2004 17:45

On the old GR system, if someone contacted you, you could reply direct to the sender as their email addy used to be at the top of the message, but now you cannot, it goes back via GR, so if you are not a member, I'm assuming, you can't reply now, or am I wrong? Kim