Genealogy Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

Is it possible......

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Supergran

Supergran Report 19 Sep 2004 11:00

Is it possible to look up details on a marriage cert if I have the ref no etc or do I have to send for the actual cert. Probably not as easy as that! Thanks Brenda

Phoenix

Phoenix Report 19 Sep 2004 11:07

The reference number simply relates to the GRO. The individual reistry office would have its own referencing system. If you knew for certain where someone married, then a lookup could be done in the original registers, but there could be a score or more places in which the couple could have married. Brenda

Supergran

Supergran Report 19 Sep 2004 11:14

Thanks Brenda They were actually married in Shardlow in Derbyshire.Does this mean a personal visit to the Records office? Trouble is I'm not 100pc certain its the George Barson I'm looking for + its quite a way from Cyprus lol Brenda

Emma

Emma Report 19 Sep 2004 11:22

Brenda, You can order the certificates direct from 1837 (not sure if available to overseas clients) or at www.gro.gov(.)uk/gro/content/certificates/ (now extended to overseas) if it's a GRO reference that you have. You can always cross reference with any other details you may have i.e. spouse's name, parent's name - that way you won't necessarily get a certificate for the wrong George Barson. Emma x

Supergran

Supergran Report 19 Sep 2004 11:39

Thanks Emma Brenda x