Genealogy Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

An 'of this parish' question.

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Twinkle

Twinkle Report 18 Sep 2004 21:52

On a marriage entry I have 'of this parish' written by the groom's name, yet he consistantly stated he was born in a different county a hundred miles away. Would I be right in thinking that if he had lived in the parish for a while then he would be entitled to 'claim' it even it wasn't his birthplace?

Carol

Carol Report 18 Sep 2004 21:53

I think you are right Kate. 3 weeks is the minimum time I think. Remember people going to Gretna Green, had to stay a while before they could be classed a of this parish and wed there without parents consent

Twinkle

Twinkle Report 18 Sep 2004 21:56

Thanks Carol.

Bren from Oldham

Bren from Oldham Report 18 Sep 2004 21:57

yes if he was living in the parish at the time of the wedding he would be of this parish. If he lived somewhere else it would say so in the record the marriage. and they would have had to have banns put up in both churches That is why sometimes on the IGI you find entries for the same people on the same date at two different churches Bren

Twinkle

Twinkle Report 19 Sep 2004 11:46

Mmmmmm I'm unlikely to find Banns for his birth parish as Kent seems reluctant to make much available to the public. Still, it'll be a welcome distraction from my Irish lot.

Guinevere

Guinevere Report 19 Sep 2004 13:18

Hi, It depends on the date. At one time to be "of this parish" you had to have a legal settlement in the parish, either by birth or following an interview with the parish guardians granting you a legal settlment. Parishes had duties under the poor law and would not happily accept just anyone in case the person needed parish relief. One of mine is described as a "sojourner" as he moved from place to place. Gwynne

Christine in Herts

Christine in Herts Report 19 Sep 2004 21:35

Kate If it's in Kent, do you have enough info to use this page? http://extranet2.kent.gov.uk/kccextranet/sp/rois/marriagesearch.cfm (Wow! - GR doesn't garble that url!) Christine

Twinkle

Twinkle Report 20 Sep 2004 19:15

Thanks Christine, but the marriage was pre-1837.