Genealogy Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

name puzzle!

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Chris

Chris Report 18 Sep 2004 21:46

does anyone know if the name Catherine could also be Mary ann, as iv got a bit confused on the 1871/91 census my gt gt gt grandfather is on with wife Mary Ann now i have his daughters birth certificate but the mother is Catherine ! and i know i have the right BC as the address matches the one on the census........am i making any sense or am i just having a bad moment its driving me mad Christine

Carol

Carol Report 18 Sep 2004 21:50

It is quite possible for any name to be right. She may not have liked the name Catherine and told everyone to call her Mary Anne or vice versa. It is not easy to tell which is correct but I would assume her birth certificate is, as that is the name given to her by her parents.

Carol

Carol Report 18 Sep 2004 21:52

My grandfathers birth cert gave parents at Charles Frederick and Annie. Turns out to be Augustus Frederick Charles and Johanna

Chris

Chris Report 18 Sep 2004 21:57

Thanks Carol, they dont half make it hard for us dont they! the thing is iv just spent hours and 10 pounds worth of credit searching for there marriege iv found my gt gt gt grandfather( i think) but theres no match for Catherine or Mary Ann! Christine