Genealogy Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

Any ideas?..

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Chris Ho :)

Chris Ho :) Report 18 Sep 2004 11:52

In a recent diary of Gt. Grandfathers, for 1915, he mentions a visit from a pension officer regarding a separation allowance, from his son (who was 19, and in Army),as his wife was dead, (or so we were told!) what would this be?.. Also what was the Band of Hope, tea that his daughter went to, all about?..

Maz (the Royal One) in the East End 9256

Maz (the Royal One) in the East End 9256 Report 18 Sep 2004 11:57

Did an ask Jeeves on "band of hope" (the "" are essential!) and there are several sites. One says ... "The Band of Hope, a temperance organisation for working-class children, was founded in Leeds in 1847. All members took a pledge of total abstinence and were taught the "evils of drink". Members were enrolled from the age of six and met once a week to listen to lectures and participate in activities." Hope this helps! Maz. XX

Belle56

Belle56 Report 18 Sep 2004 11:59

Hi Christine, just typed in Band of Hope into Google, and it came up with a temperance organisation for working class children, founded in Leeds in 1847. Hope this leads you somewhere, Belle.

Unknown

Unknown Report 18 Sep 2004 12:07

A separation allowance is one that is paid to dependents when the breadwinner of the family is off fighting for king & country. According to ALL QUIET ON THE HOME FRONT (book), the separation allowance was paid to wives whose husbands had gone to war, to offset the loss of income. It was 12s 6d a week (62p) with an extra 2s (10p) per child. This was as miserly as it sounds and barely compensated financially. Also according to the above book, some 16,000 women had their separation allowances stopped because of "immoral behaviour". I guess some of these poor women would be forced into further immorality to keep body and soul together. My father was born in 1917. His mother was busy working to keep the family business going while her husband was away. She was unable to breastfeed and I think the food she had to get for him (some form of powdered milk I imagine) cost almost as much as the amount of money she received for his upkeep. Life was not as grim at home in wartime as at the front, but it certainly was extremely hard. nell

Seasons

Seasons Report 18 Sep 2004 12:10

As he was serving in the Army - the Pension was an allotment whereby part of his pay was sent directly to his wife/parents. This was probably a voluntary arrangement for sons though possibly almost compulsary for married men.

Chris Ho :)

Chris Ho :) Report 18 Sep 2004 14:11

Thanks folks for the replies, things are looking clearer now, poor Beatrice at 15, being taught the evils of drink!. notice Gt. Grandfather, didn't go with her!..

Christine in Herts

Christine in Herts Report 18 Sep 2004 16:32

Interested in your info about the Allowance, Nell. Apparently, when my grandfather went off to the war (allegedly) six months after my father was born, my grandmother had so much trouble making ends meet that the elder son was put into an orphanage and my father was put into the care of his grandparents (presumably her parents). It left a lot of hurt and neither brother encouraged family tree enquiries much, but especially on the father's side. Both sons adored their mother so it must have been a bitter experience for my 4- or 5-year-old uncle. The father never came back but we've no knowledge of his actual death - or even which regiment he joined. Christine

An Olde Crone

An Olde Crone Report 18 Sep 2004 19:22

My family's experience of the separation allowance was a bit different to yours...my Gt Grandfather was a world-class drinker and Gt Granma took in washing etc to put food on the table. She always said the couple of years he was in the Army and she got regular money, were the best of her married life!