Genealogy Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

Cost of 1901

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Jeanie

Jeanie Report 17 Sep 2004 19:16

About to go on 1901. I have reread instructions 3 times!! Once you pay your £5 do the images you view get taken off that or are they extra? Aged brain cell on way out!! Thanks Jeanie

Carol

Carol Report 17 Sep 2004 19:27

You buy your credit, then any charges incurred are deducted from said credit. Doesnt matter if it is images or text, but sometimes it is cheaper to go straight to the image, then you dont pay for the family list as well.

Kim

Kim Report 17 Sep 2004 19:29

Census transcripts are 50p and census extract (whole page of original) 75p .This part of your £5. However I would make a list of all you want to look up as the £5.00 if you pay by credit card only lasts 48 hrs kim

Christine in Herts

Christine in Herts Report 17 Sep 2004 19:47

And you need to bear in mind that the transcription spellings can be quite extraordinary. If you don't find your target straight off, then try using wildcards plus trying to imagine what the letters could look like if copper-plate script is being read by someone who's (probably) being paid on a piecework basis and doesn't want to waste too much time looking anything up (and may not be too hot on spelling either!). I've had JasAn for JasOn, LeAnard for LeOnard, CoOks for CoCks, ChristER for ChristIE... (those are the ones I remember without checking!) Placenames and Occupations are equally vulnerable. Also people lied about their ages. And may have been erratic in their ideas of where they were born (my g-grandfather was born either in Maidenhead (1881 & 1901) or Ilford (1891). I feel these are not close enough for that to be a slight mistake - but I've seen the 1891 image. To be fair, it's also possible that the original enumerators got things wrong. And I know I'm quite capable of transposing characters when I key stuff in. Have fun Christine

Zoe

Zoe Report 17 Sep 2004 19:51

JEANIE - STOP!!!! let me know who you're looking for as I have access to ancestry and they may be available on their - and it won't cost you a penny if I get them I'm at work but its fairly slow at teh moment so I'm more than happy to hunt them down for you

Cougarjo

Cougarjo Report 17 Sep 2004 20:07

Hi I suggest buying a voucher rather than using credit card. If you use a voucher you have 6 months before it expires whereas a credit card only gives you 48 hrs (and you will still be charged £5 even if the cost of your searchs is less). I bought my voucher from the local library. Joanne

Jeanie

Jeanie Report 18 Sep 2004 10:27

Thankyou for all the helpful replies. Best wishes Jeanie