Genealogy Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

Poor Law

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Lynne

Lynne Report 17 Sep 2004 14:39

Hi I wonder if anyone can give any suggestions for the following found in the Poor Law Records in 1842. What does it mean when someone is 'bought off from the Army by the hospital'. Also, what does it mean when someone is on 'hospital dole'? Any suggestions are very welcome! Thanks Lynne

Christine in Herts

Christine in Herts Report 17 Sep 2004 16:48

I think this is still in an era of "taking the King's/Queen's shilling" - which meant that soldiers had entered a contract and couldn't just leave. (Still true today in a different wording.) You would have to buy your way out. The inverse was true for officers who bought their commissions (to get in) and sold them (to get out). I'm not at all certain of this, but, if no-one else comes up with anything definitive, this might suggest a possible trail. Christine