Genealogy Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

Searching Deaths - What a morbid task

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Carol

Carol Report 16 Sep 2004 01:45

My mother had 7 or 8 siblings all who were either stillborn or died shortly after birth, due to Grandmother being rhesus negative. Looking through deaths, and looking for 0s. Makes you realise your own mortality.

Pat

Pat Report 16 Sep 2004 01:59

Carol, I am AB rhesus negative, (3% of the population)my husband is O Positive ( so common, as I do tell him). You are right my grandmother lost a boy, my Mum lost a boy my Aunt lost a boy I ended up with two boys one after the other thanks to the anti D I was given when they were born. I then had a girl and again anti D. We are a very lucky generation, wonder will the generation after see anything that happened to us and think how lucky they are? Pat x

cazzabella

cazzabella Report 16 Sep 2004 02:05

Seeing so many children die so young is sad, and we are so lucky today with all the advances in medical science. Going off on another tangent though.....I find searching burials both sad and fascinating......morbid curiosity I guess, but the info that's sometimes added can make seaching for that elusive ancestor a bit more interesting and helps to keep me awake! In one register I read about the burial of a woman who had been murdered by her husband......he'd lost the plot one day and literally split her head in two with a scythe....then made a run for it. He was caught and hung within days of the murder. Neither were 'mine', but it's stuck in my mind ever since. Cass

Carol

Carol Report 16 Sep 2004 02:27

I discovered that after 1927, stillbirths were required to be registered. I have found a birth and death entry for one brother. The place and mothers maiden name match. Just got to find the others now. My mums memory is a bit fuzzy about it, she is 80 though