Genealogy Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

Have I found the right people??

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Sam

Sam Report 15 Sep 2004 23:03

I know that my great-grandfather married Mary Elizabeth Webster in 1900 in Stoke on Trent, Staffs and I have the marriage certificate. Mary is aged 20 and her father is William Webster, occupation ****wright. I can't read the first bit. On the 1891 census there is only one Mary E Webster that I can find of the correct age. Her father is William, a Wheelwright and they are living in Derby in Ashbourne Road. This road is the A52 which is the main road running from Stoke - Derby (or was before the A50 was built!). My question is, do you think I can safely assume that this is the correct Mary? What other way would there be of proving that this is indeed the family I should be looking at? Any ideas mmuch appreciated! Thanks Sam

Sam

Sam Report 15 Sep 2004 23:07

Sorry, forgot to mention - The 1891 census gives her place of birth as Horninglow, Staffordshire which is in Burton on Trent. On the 1901 when she is married to my g-gdad George Hill, her place of birth is given as Hanley, Stoke on Trent. This is where they were living so could she possibly have fibbed in 1901? Sam

Unknown

Unknown Report 15 Sep 2004 23:11

Hi Sam, I wouldn't like to say whether this is the right person or not, but I have found several instances where rellies' details change between censuses!! This includes age, occupation and place of birth. My great-grandfather couldn't decide whether he was born in Ireland or Liverpool, not much help at all! So as she has given the same county, I wouldn't worry too much about the specific place, she could have been born in one place and 'brought up' in the other for example. Mandy :)

Phoenix

Phoenix Report 15 Sep 2004 23:44

This looks like the family in 1881. Haven't ploughed through all Derby, but they don't appear to be any others in Staffs. Name William WEBSTER Relationship Head Condition M Gender M Age 30 Occupation Carpenter Birthplace Mark Eaton, Derby, England Address 24 Ceder Street, Derby St Alkmund, Derby, England PRO ref RG11/3405 Folio 90 Page 7 FHL film no. 1341814 Amount paid £0.00 2. Name Emma WEBSTER Relationship Wife Condition M Gender F Age 26 Occupation – Birthplace Hanbury, Stafford, England Address 24 Ceder Street, Derby St Alkmund, Derby, England PRO ref RG11/3405 Folio 90 Page 7 FHL film no. 1341814 Amount paid £0.00 3. Name Mary E. WEBSTER Relationship Daur Condition – Gender F Age 3 m Occupation – Birthplace Horninglow Address 24 Ceder Street, Derby St Alkmund, Derby, England PRO ref RG11/3405 Folio 90 Page 7 FHL film no. 1341814 Amount paid £0.00 Brenda

Gwyn in Kent

Gwyn in Kent Report 16 Sep 2004 07:57

Can any of the marriage witnesses be linked to the Mary in the census, father, brother, or sister (married or unmarried)? This might help you decide. I too have found people's birthplace change between census, even when parents were noting a child of 11years old.

Sam

Sam Report 16 Sep 2004 09:08

Hi Gwyneth Unfortunately the marriage witnessess don't appear to be related. They seem to be a husband and wife who are neighbours/friends of the happy couple! Would have been FAR easier if Mary could have roped in a couple of her siblings! Sam

Sam

Sam Report 16 Sep 2004 09:44

Mystery appears to be solved - My dad has just decided that he does have some relatives from Burton on Trent although he doesn't know them! So it would appear that it was Mary (his grandmother) and her family. If only he could have mentioned this six months ago.....has anyone else got living relatives that seem to 'forget' relations until you find them after months of searching?! Sam

Carole

Carole Report 16 Sep 2004 11:57

Yes Sam, I spent ages looking for the birth of my Uncle Dick. Silly me, I was looking for someone called Richard. I came across a previously unknown uncle, Walter, who I assumed had died in childhood. When I asked my mum if she knew anything about him (this was my late dad's family), she said "Oh yes, that's Uncle Dick. Didn't I tell you his real name?" Aaaarrrgh!

Karen

Karen Report 16 Sep 2004 14:52

Hi Samantha Occupation is probably Wheelwright - I've got loads of these on my tree - they did something regarding making wheels. Karen

Gwyn in Kent

Gwyn in Kent Report 16 Sep 2004 17:16

Glad you sorted the mystery Sam. Yes we have relatives who suddenly remember too. We spent ages tracking down information re. my father in law's brothers and when we told him he said "Oh yes, I've got the certificate upstairs" and promptly went and got it!