Genealogy Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

Who are we all looking for - proper searchable dat

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Martin

Martin Report 15 Sep 2004 16:18

There are many threads on these boards on the subject of "who are we looking for (county)" and there are also good threads eg telling others eg what churchyards people are willing to search in, What we really need is a decent database/spreadsheet /list or whatever incorporated into this site that we can all put our "lookings fors" into, a list of all churchyards and vounteers etc, census material, so we can all easily search and find exactly who can help us so we don't have to go through endless threads trying to find the right person or contact name. There must be other information that can be put into searchable lists that we can create to help us all in our researches without going through each reply to lots of threads. I just feel that all this valuable information and help could be presented in a better way to make it easier for somebody to search for. Martin

Carol

Carol Report 15 Sep 2004 16:23

That is good idea Martin. You are obviously very organised. Is your family history stuff neatly filed or in heaps of paper like us females. I agree with you though, it would be easier and better to be able to find the help we need or the help we can give at the touch of a keystroke. How many times have you wanted a look up and remembered that someone offered it a few days ago but couldnt remember who.

Bob

Bob Report 15 Sep 2004 16:25

This was also my idea when I started the "Free census data" thread - searchable databases. If someone wants to extend this they can add start with that one, and then add the addresses in my "UK-BMD" thread and "OPC" Threads Then add the list at http://ormond.i8(.)com which is also a list of searchable databases. That will give us a good start, and then add databases for all the others things, as Martin suggests above That should really give us a great research tool !

Martin

Martin Report 15 Sep 2004 16:27

Carol Sorry to say I am not very organised .... I have MOUNTAINS of scraps of silly little notes!!! Martin