Genealogy Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

How do people in other countries do their research

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Carol

Carol Report 15 Sep 2004 04:08

It seems to me that Britain is the only country where Birth Marriage and Death Indices are online. Or am I wrong. Do other countries have their own FreeBMD or 1837online? and a version of GENUKI

TonyOz

TonyOz Report 15 Sep 2004 05:29

Hi Carol. I am an Ozzie ( born n' bred ) who has been researching his family tree in Australia for 30 years. We do have Australian vital record Index's on c.d B.M.D's 1799 - 1985 with deaths in Victoria up to 1985. and marriages on c.d in Vic, from 1921 - 1942. We unfortunatley, dont have access to Australian Census records that can be viewed by the general public. Our Government, so we are told? destroys these census after they get the info that they need from them.There were however, a few early census listed in the Pioneer days and Munster rolls in some states, but they are like Hen's teeth, and some hard to find. Most states in Australia carry early resident, shops, and industry Directories that can be found at most Library's on Micro fiche, a bit like the U.K directories. Inward Shipping and Convict records are bountiful, with many,many sites on the Net. With Australia being a rather young Country, it dosen't take long to find out that after a century or two, our research leads us back to the U.K or Ireland in most cases anyway. Most Australian Cemetries are on line for checking burials. There is quite a lot of information on the net for the Australian researcher, its just a matter of knowing where to look. I personally have never found it impossible to find an Ancestor i have been searching for in Australia. But then,maybe i have been lucky?? Cheers.Tony

♥♪ˇ Karen

♥♪ˇ Karen Report 15 Sep 2004 07:31

Anthony, I am an Aussie as well. Could you list some of those sites that you mentioned please? Other than death records in newspapers, I haven't found much else. Thanks KAren