Genealogy Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

1837online

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

KathleenBell

KathleenBell Report 14 Sep 2004 21:24

Before I buy more units on 1837online does any kind person have any promotional codes which will enable me to get extra units? Thanks in advance Kath

Sane Jayne

Sane Jayne Report 14 Sep 2004 22:14

Hi Kath, I dont have nay promotion codes unfortunately but have tried to download the software needed to look at the documents with no luck, what one did you down load and have you had problems? Its already taken 4 units form me and I cant see anything. I am on XP. Thanks, Jayne

Unknown

Unknown Report 14 Sep 2004 22:36

The XP download is a bit naff, I got blank screens and it was counting down the credits too. Downloaded the version for Windows 95 and it works a treat. good luck xx

KathleenBell

KathleenBell Report 14 Sep 2004 22:38

Sorry, I don't understand the download thing your talking about. I leave all the technical stuff to my son and he's on holiday at the moment. Kath

Pat

Pat Report 14 Sep 2004 23:15

Me too Jayne, I cannot view anything I search and the units are decreasing accordingly I even emailed them through the site and my email came back 'failed' I'm upset about it as for the past couple of weeks I wanted to check for indexes of marriages I found on the family search site. In their help section they tell you to take your firewall off if you have problems I tried it (although I was sweating while it was off) it made no difference it still didn't work. My computer is getting me down at the moment I am having lots of stupid problems, not major just annoying ones that add up to a BIG Headache. By the way mine is XP too Pat x

Unknown

Unknown Report 14 Sep 2004 23:21

Pat Mine's working fine so if there's anything you want looking up and I can help, let me know

Pat

Pat Report 15 Sep 2004 00:55

Alyson, That is really kind of you, I don't like asking people to look on a site that costs them money, it would not be fair. I have tried BMD instead of 1837 and this couple's marriage is not there, I was upset about that as they showed up on the Family Search which is a bit of a pain unless you can visit local, which of course I can't. I am going to have to put this computer in for someone to do work on it as I tried to download the adaware that Judy in the States advised and it knocked me off the website. The problem is going to get worse before it gets better. Many thanks Alyson. Pat x

Unknown

Unknown Report 15 Sep 2004 11:44

Pat Its not a prob honestly. I bought tons of units thinking my search was going to take forever and I found it within minutes so there's units spare if you need any help ali

♥Julia♦from♦Liverpool ♥

♥Julia♦from♦Liverpool ♥ Report 15 Sep 2004 13:00

Hi Kath I have xp and I am using 1837 with no props. I had to download Djvubrowser first to read documents there was a link on the site to do this. hope it helps and good luck! Julia

Pat

Pat Report 15 Sep 2004 13:03

Patricia I now know for definite there is something wrong with my computer. No suggestions as yet as helped to solve the problem, cookies, SP2 download, etc., I even took my firewall down while in 1837 still nothing. I thought Norton wasn't doing its job and my subscription was nearly up so I have bought McAfee Internet Security suite 2004 and that hasn't helped finding the problem either. Judy has a thread for Adaware and stuff like spyware, I tried to download them but because of the same problem I have accesses 1837 I cannot get them (each time I press the link I am knocked off the internet completely) yes its very annoying, but I am more upset about it than annoyed as I have tried so hard to prevent anything happening to my computer, I feel it was a waste of time and money. before I start crying I think I'll make another cup of tea. Pat x

Pat

Pat Report 15 Sep 2004 13:18

Alyson, I have emailed you. Many Many thanks, you're a STAR. Pat x

KathleenBell

KathleenBell Report 15 Sep 2004 14:57

Hi all, I'm not having any problems accessing the images on 1837online. We have XP too, so whatever it is we need to view the images, my son must have done when we first subscribed to 1837. I was just after a promotional code because you get an extra few credits. Have now bought what I need for now. Hope you all manage to overcome the problems. I wish I was more technically minded, so I could help. Kath