Genealogy Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

Broadband.

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Lesley

Lesley Report 14 Sep 2004 09:38

Can anyone suggest a good broadband account? Iv'e just fallen out with Wanadoo. I would like an anytime acount and I'm not sure how many GB I download each month (I don't really understand that bit) Thanks Lesley

Stephen

Stephen Report 14 Sep 2004 10:52

I use BT Yahoo! Broadband and have never had any problem with them. Good luck. Steve.

Joy

Joy Report 14 Sep 2004 10:59

We are on wanadoo - sorry to hear you have had problems. We were on freeserve, pay as you go, then anytime, then broadband - have been on broadband for just over a year. Have just changed from 27-99 to 17-99. It filters out the rubbish and has an antivirus. Joy

BrianW

BrianW Report 14 Sep 2004 12:13

I'm on the £27.99 scale of Wanadoo, having changed from Anytime, but I don't know how to work out if I can downgrade. As we don't download movies or music I suspect that we could: how do you calculate?

Joy

Joy Report 14 Sep 2004 12:41

Brian, I think there is a website where you can calculate it but can't remember its name, sorry. Joy

Joy

Joy Report 14 Sep 2004 13:01

Brian - just had a look at the wandoo website which says: "If you reach your monthly allowance after this date your service will be restricted until the end of the monthly period. You will also have the option to upgrade to a service with a larger usage allowance." and the next one up is I think nearly £23. Joy

mab

mab Report 14 Sep 2004 13:47

I've been satisfied with BT Broadband as well Lesley, no frills, no 'ifs & buts', no problems. Marian

Linda from Murton

Linda from Murton Report 14 Sep 2004 14:38

Why not have a look at Pipex. I think they charge £19.99 a month with restricted download and £23.99 a month unrestricted. I know what you mean about not understanding this limit of 1gb a month. I think it only affects those internet users who like to download music and video clips. If like me you use the net just for surfing and family history research it shouldnt really affect you. I've heard some good reports about Pipex - just do a search on Google and a link should pop up. Happy hunting.

Sue In Yorkshire.

Sue In Yorkshire. Report 14 Sep 2004 21:36

I have AOL Silver Broadband,£19-99 a month and no restrictions on how many downloads you do a month. I have had AOL for a few months and have had no problems at all, Sue

Carol

Carol Report 14 Sep 2004 21:48

I have heard that some people have had a lot of problems with Pipex. Bt broadband do a choice of 3 accounts. The faster they say they are the dearer they are. I plumped for the dearest and I dread to think what the speed is on the cheapest.

cazzabella

cazzabella Report 14 Sep 2004 22:08

We're with Tiscali, on the lowest unlimited package, which for us was £15 a month because we were already with them for unlimited access, but I'm not sure what it is for new customers. We've never had a problem and we use the internet on average 12 hours a day for work etc. We've never had to worry about restrictions on download time. If you're not bothered about downloading music etc., then there's really no need to go for a faster package. We just needed our phoneline free. hope you find something suitable and less hassle than you've had. Best wishes, Cass

Lesley

Lesley Report 15 Sep 2004 10:38

Thanks for all your replies I have calmed down a bit this morning and am thinking I might not cut of my nose to spite my face. Lesley