Genealogy Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

German ancestry

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Ian

Ian Report 14 Sep 2004 09:20

Hello, Does anyone know anything about tracing family members in Germany. I have the birth certificate of my great grandmother and a place name in Germany. Any help appreciated. Ian. UPDATE: Thank you for those of you who have already answered! I have also now found the German searches thread in General topics.

cazzabella

cazzabella Report 14 Sep 2004 09:38

Hi Ian, My mother in law's family are German, and the system over there is nothing like ours. There wasn't central civil registration, so you need to know the town or village your ancestors came from and trace them through local civil and church records. I've been very lucky so far with the family keeping certificates and other stuff going back 200 years, but without that I'd have been lost. I'd suggest you get in touch with the Anglo-German Family History Society. http://feefhs(.)org/uk/frgagfhs(.)html Best wishes, Cass

Pete

Pete Report 14 Sep 2004 09:50

I'm a member of the AGFHS, and they may well be able to help. Their site provides basic info on tracing German ancestors, they also publish a book on the subject. Additionally, they maintain a list of surnames of interest, and for a very small fee, can search this list, plus a load of other lists they have access to. Proved very useful for me when tracing my ancestors, and well worth a look

Ian

Ian Report 14 Sep 2004 09:55

Thank you for the information (and so quickly)! The A-GFHS looks very interesting. The names I am interested are Kremer and Krolla. Thanks again, Ian.

Bob

Bob Report 14 Sep 2004 11:25

There is a thread on General Topics: German searches with lots of links. I am just about to enter a database link, where you can try entering your names.