Genealogy Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

What do you think?

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Unknown

Unknown Report 14 Sep 2004 07:10

I've been trying to find Alfred Berry bc1834 Spitalfields London, son of John Berry a weaver and have been searching the 1841 & 1851 and found these - 1841 Phoenix Street Spitalfields Christ Church John Berry 45 silk weaver Sarah 45 William 25 James 25 Catherine 20 Sarah 15 Elizabeth 15 Samuel 10 Alfred 15 and in 1851 39 Phoenix Street Spitalfields Christchurch Thomas Berry head wdr 55 silk weaver Aldgate Alfred son unm 17 silk weaver Christchurch Spitalfields also at 39 Phoenix Street James Berry head mar 35 silk weaver Mile End New Town with family. I'm thinking that there's been a mistake with Alfred's age on the 1841 as he's the last named and that his father's name is incorrect on the 1851 - is this too much wishful thinking? The James next door on the 1851 and it being the same street make me think I'm right. Also there are no Thomas Berrys on the IGI at the right time for Aldgate but there is John, son of WIlliam & Mary Magdalene bapt St Botolphs Without Aldgate in May 1795. My head's spinning trying to think it out lol - what does anyone think?

Sidami

Sidami Report 14 Sep 2004 10:51

David I am putting this up for you on the board, hoping someone can help you. Sue..............

Judith

Judith Report 14 Sep 2004 11:24

I'm inclined to go with your theory. Perhaps the 1841 enumerator just got so confused with all that rounding down that he miswrote Alfred's age. He does seem confused as I notice that he rounds down all the children's ages as well as the adults although I believe they were supposed to give exact ages for children under 15 The wrong christian name for father John/Thomas could be another case of enumerator error or perhaps he was just known as Thomas for some reason. Berry isn't a very common name and with the coincidence of address, occupation and son James at the same address surely you must have the right family. If they were mine I'd put these records in my file, but with a note to remind me of the discrepancies. Good hunting Judith

Unknown

Unknown Report 14 Sep 2004 13:05

Thanks all for your help:) Judith - thanks very much for thinking it through - it looks a reasonable assumption now I see it written down by someone else! As you say, I'll put them in but bear in mind there's a question. Thanks David

Zoe

Zoe Report 14 Sep 2004 13:26

David It may be worth you looking at the scans of the original pages. I know these are available at the FRC. It could well be transcriber error as much as enumerator. Th eoriginal enumerators pages are often very heavily marked by the people they sent them off to who did all the counting up and your age 15 in the 1841 could very well be a 5 that happens to have a mark near it making it look like the former

Beverly

Beverly Report 14 Sep 2004 14:59

hi There is an Alfred Berry on the 1881 census born 1834 Spitalfield so this would make him the right age on the 1851 census

Unknown

Unknown Report 14 Sep 2004 17:28

Hi Zoe I hadn't thought of that at all - he should be about 7 but as the childrens ages are rounded to the nearest five that would make sense - it's beautifully clear on the CD however much I squinted my eyes up so I'll have to organise a trip. Thanks:) Hi Beverly Yeh - that's the other thing I wondered - there don't seem to be any other Alfred Berrys that I can find and the one on the 1881 is definitely my ggg grandfather with his 2nd wife. Thanks:) David