Genealogy Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

resources for army regiment history?

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Craig

Craig Report 13 Sep 2004 13:23

I've just managed to find my great grandfather's military records via a friend who was visiting Kew. Can anyone advise where I can find out more information on the history of the East Yorkshire regiment and the Labour corp? Any advice much appreciated.

Carol

Carol Report 13 Sep 2004 14:16

Put East Yorkshire Regiment into advanced google exact phrase, and that will bring up quite a lot of sites

Heather

Heather Report 13 Sep 2004 14:18

You could also try: www.regiments.org

Chris Ho :)

Chris Ho :) Report 13 Sep 2004 15:55

I have been doing the same thing, looking for info, on a regiment, in India! (1890s), it is surprising what you can find, and just what is available!.

Christine in Herts

Christine in Herts Report 13 Sep 2004 18:36

Hi In general (no pun intended!) terms, this is a useful site for tracing army museums but it isn't always obvious which one you want if "your" regiment has been merged into another. http://www.*armymuseums.*org.*uk/ If you put "east yorkshire regiment" into (e.g.) Google, I think you'll find it comes up with lots of possible info sources. My g-father was in The Yorkshire Regimaent which has become part of The Green Howards. The curator of their museum in Richmond was very helpful in providing complementary info to what I'd found at Kew in his service record. I was charged a fee, but they are clear about it in advance. good hunting! Christine

Craig

Craig Report 15 Sep 2004 08:47

Thanks everyone. Anyone know anything about the labour corp?

Christine in Herts

Christine in Herts Report 15 Sep 2004 18:51

Hello again My grandfather, Herbert Russell CHRISTMAS, was transferred into the 113th Labour Corp during WW1. I haven't pursued that bit of his life story, but his service record was at Kew, so if your ancestor's record wasn't blitzed in WW2, you might find something there too. He got posted to a different regiment, away from the Front Line, after suffering shell shock in October 1916 - the same day that his elder brother was killed (obliterated - his memorial is amongst the "lost" on Thiepval Memorial). I got the impression that it was a behind-the-lines support regiment but could be wrong. Otherwise, try Googling! Christine

Malcolm

Malcolm Report 15 Sep 2004 19:09

Hi try this website ttp://www.geocities(.)com/labour_corps/ Malcolm

Craig

Craig Report 16 Sep 2004 20:26

Thank Malcolm - that website was exactly what I was looking for - a nice concise overview. I have been a bit bewildered by other relatively complex army websites that I have looked at. I've found it fairly difficult to understand the operational structures of the army!

Keith

Keith Report 16 Sep 2004 22:06

Hi Craig. So does Geoff Hoon.

Christine in Herts

Christine in Herts Report 17 Sep 2004 12:30

Malcolm, Thanks for the Labour Corps website link. I hadn't got around to pursuing that part of my grandfather's army career, so that's a great help. Christine