Genealogy Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

Medal Rolls at Kew

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Helen in Kent

Helen in Kent Report 13 Sep 2004 08:14

Does anyone know how far through the alphabet Kew have got with putting these records on-line? Many thanks.

Phoenix

Phoenix Report 13 Sep 2004 09:00

See the Documents Online site. Last time I looked, they were up to N, but they've sneaked in some Merchant Seaman's medal as well now. Brenda

John

John Report 13 Sep 2004 09:15

I've just had a look. They say O-S by the end of September. http://www.documentsonline.nationalarchives.gov.uk/whats-new.asp#medalsavailability

Helen in Kent

Helen in Kent Report 13 Sep 2004 14:49

Thanks to you both! I'm waiting for 'P' so shall cool my heels for a little longer!

Unknown

Unknown Report 13 Sep 2004 16:01

Found my step-great-uncle and bought online. You download a page which has 6 cards on it - so various other Garvies besides mine. All the other cards had useful info like the date the soldier joined up, whether he was wounded or not, when he left etc. Mine just has name and two medals! nell

Jean Durant

Jean Durant Report 13 Sep 2004 17:09

Waiting for R for my Grandfather. Starting to get impatient now. Jean x.

Christine in Herts

Christine in Herts Report 13 Sep 2004 18:21

Hi I was able to get a "B" Step-grandfather's (RAMC doctor-officer) but "C" officers in other regiments didn't seem to have opted for that system. Somewhere on the site, I think it tells you that NCOs and "other ranks" had medal cards automatically but officers didn't necessarily have one. And, it's worth reiterating (they also warn you on the site), make sure you check the reference numbers if you're ordering more than one: if the names are close together you may need only one image. As has already been remarked, there are six medal cards on each image. Christine