Genealogy Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

Shopkeeper in 1880?

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Lynne

Lynne Report 11 Sep 2004 13:45

I am trying to piece together the lives of my gggrandparents. My gggrandfather died in 1875 of Pthithisis(?) and their youngest child died three years earlier of Whooping Cough. They had moved about a lot, around the Salford/Manchester areas and I have traced all the addresses on an old map. This tells me their living conditions would have been quite poor. In 1880, gggrandmother remarried and her occupation is Shopkeeper, which I assumed meant she owned the shop. Am I correct, or would she just have been an employee who managed the shop? If she owned it I am wondering how she could afford to buy it! Any advice would be appreciated. Thanks Lyn

Carol

Carol Report 11 Sep 2004 13:59

Is it possible that her husband owned the shop, and she worked in it to help out. That would save employing someone.

Lynne

Lynne Report 11 Sep 2004 14:06

Carol I don't think so as they were living somewhere completely different when he died. Having said that, I suppose it is possible that he owned it and they didn't live there. I'm even more puzzled now - LOL! Lyne

Kathleen

Kathleen Report 11 Sep 2004 14:11

It often happened that the 'front room' was used as a shop in the small local areas. Need not have been a shop as we tend to think of them. It was a way of earning a living. Kathleen

Phoenix

Phoenix Report 11 Sep 2004 14:19

I get the impression that some shops then would have been little more than a front room in a house and the stock fairly minimal too. The actual property is likely to have been rented as it was almost certainly terraced. Have a look in trade directories to see if you can find her. I would have thought that the term shopkeeper would indicate that she was in charge. Brenda