Genealogy Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

Searching Census on CD

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Maggie

Maggie Report 11 Sep 2004 12:02

I have just obtained a census on CD which is not name searchable only area. Is it just a matter of going through page by page and looking for the name I want. I notice on the adobe reader thingy that there is a search button but when i put my name that I am searching in nothing came up, am I doing it wrong? Also how do I save one page of the census onto my computer, I tried and managed to save the whole area and only noticed after I had saved about 10 pages of the census to look at later and found that I had saved the whole area 10 times !!!!!! How do you people out there manage to search your Census CD's for other people when I am going bog eyed just looking for my own!!! Bog Eyed from Dorset.

Lynne

Lynne Report 11 Sep 2004 13:49

Maggie I have the 1871 Lancs and although there is a name index, it is not complete as I can't find any of my rellies on it. If you know the street, you can find it on the area index then just search that street, or search a particular area, otherwise you do need to trawl through the whole thing! As for saving a single page, I had the same problem. The only way to do it, I was informed, was to print and scan it or save as a jpeg (I think). Hope this helps Lyn

Carol

Carol Report 11 Sep 2004 13:55

The reason the find didnt work, is that find only finds text, and the census pages are images. To save an image from one page, I use Paint Shop Pro and set up a screen capture. I set it up to use a Hot Key, in my case it is F10 but you can choose any key you like. When you have the page you want on screen, hit the hot key and it will become a PSP image. You can then crop off the bits you dont want and save as jpg. This may be available in other paint programmes, but this is the only one I have used, so not sure about others.

Carol

Carol Report 11 Sep 2004 13:57

Apparently, if you have acrobat 6, there is a camera icon on the tool bar, which will take a screen shot, but as I have acrobat 5 I have never used it.

Steven

Steven Report 11 Sep 2004 14:47

There are 2 ways I know of the 1) On your keyboard press the F Lock or function key ( On my keyboard a light will come on when it is on) Then get what it is you want to save (An image, text or photo etc) Then press on your the key called PrtScn (Print Screen) Then open up Word or Works etc start a new document then click paste. It will paste everything that was on your screen when you pressed the button. I don't use this way so I don't know all the in's and out's. The way i prefer is to use Arcsoft PhotoStudio 5 and follow a similar way to Carol's. Steve.

Maggie

Maggie Report 11 Sep 2004 15:14

Thanks Lyn, Carol and Steve, will print this off now so I can try all your ideas. Thanks again :-) Maggie