Genealogy Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

War record

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Lorraine (Lorr)

Lorraine (Lorr) Report 10 Sep 2004 23:49

Tonight I think I've found the war record of my Granny's brother? Casualty Details Name: EDWARDS Initials: H Nationality: United Kingdom Rank: Rifleman Regiment: Rifle Brigade Unit Text: 1st Bn. Age: 23 Date of Death: 24/10/1918 Service No: S/13065 Additional information: Son of Mr. and Mrs. Henry Edwards, of 26, Dover St., Bevois, Southampton. Casualty Type: Commonwealth War Dead Grave/Memorial Reference: F. 22. Cemetery: RAMILLIES BRITISH CEMETERY Given I've got the correct person - there it lists his parents, my Great Granny & Grandad and their address at the time. Could anyone tell me how I would get the census for them now please? Mr & Mrs Henry Edwards - 26 Dover Street, Bevois, Southampton? Many thanks for any help anyone can give Luv Lorr x x x

Mary

Mary Report 11 Sep 2004 00:28

Hi there, The only census that you will find them on is the 1901 census. You will find this on www.census.pro.gov.uk You will have to pay to look at an image. good luck Mary

Lorraine (Lorr)

Lorraine (Lorr) Report 11 Sep 2004 01:09

Thank you Mary x

maggiewinchester

maggiewinchester Report 11 Sep 2004 11:18

Lorr!! I saw the address and though...I've been there! My friend used to live at 52 Dover Street. As you live in Southampton, you've probably seen the street, they're all the same! Just called my friend for some history on the place, he says that in victorian times, the Ordnance Survey was just off The Avenue, and was run by the Army. Dover Street was built for the army personnel who worked for Ordnance Survey! Most of the houses have extensions now, but were originally literally two up two down, with a small walled back yard with a loo in it! See you Sunday Maggiexx

Unknown

Unknown Report 11 Sep 2004 11:48

Hi Lorr I can access 1901 census on Ancestry; I've just had a look and can't find your rellies but that doesn't mean they're not there!! Ancestry sometimes seems a bit haywire to me, I did a search for my own g/g/grandfather and it came up 'zero matches' but I found him living with his wife when I searched under her name. I'm still a bit new to all this but I don't think you can search Ancestry under addresses - so do you have any further info that might help me look? eg Henry's wife's first name, or their ages? Happy to help if I can! Love Mandy x

maggiewinchester

maggiewinchester Report 11 Sep 2004 12:48

Lorr, Could this be the family on the 1891 census for Portsmouth? EDWARDS Henry I Head 34 Ostler (emp'ee) Portsmouth EDWARDS Christiana Wife 35 Edinburgh EDWARDS Herbert A Son 7 Scholar Portsea EDWARDS Lillian Dau 4 Portsea EDWARDS Henry J Son 1 Landport EDWARDS Christiana Dau 5 months Landport Their address was 22 Moors Square I found this on FreeCen Maggie

Lorraine (Lorr)

Lorraine (Lorr) Report 11 Sep 2004 12:57

Thank you all for your replies. You know it's silly but I've never been to Dover Street - but I'll have to go now. Unfortunately I don't think these Edwards are mine. As far as I know: Henry Edwards born 1868 (don't know where yet) Mary Eleanor Edwards born 1872 Maud Clarke nee Edwards (my Granny) born 1892 her sisters and brothers were Maggie Kitty Ann Harry Jim Alex I'm not getting very far but I think I should probably send for a few certs that will help..... Thanks again for your help luv Lorr x x x

maggiewinchester

maggiewinchester Report 11 Sep 2004 13:04

Silly me! He wouldn't have been born then!! Maths was never my strong point!

Lorraine (Lorr)

Lorraine (Lorr) Report 11 Sep 2004 14:32

Ah Maggie but thanks anyway x

Unknown

Unknown Report 11 Sep 2004 16:02

Hi Lorr I think I might have found them on the 1901 census on Ancestry. I know that Shirley is part of Southampton, but not well enough to know if it's the right area for you. Their names and ages seem to fit, as the names you gave would be shortened versions or nicknames for the ones on the census. I would have thought it was too much of a coincidence not to be them! Here goes: Admin County: Hampshire Civil Parish: Shirley Parliamentary Borough: Southampton Henry Edwards Head age 32 Boiler maker born Birkenhead (Cheshire) Mary Edwards Wife age 28 born Liverpool (Lancashire) Margaret Edwards Daur age 10 born Birkenhead (Cheshire) Maud Edwards Daur age 7 born Higher Bebington (Cheshire) Henry Edwards Son age 4 born Birkenhead (Cheshire) Catherine Edwards Daur age 3 born Birkenhead (Cheshire) James Edwards Son age 1 month born Southampton (Hants) Margaret Leyland Servant age 15 born Birkenhead (Cheshire) Living at 7 Nelson Terrace, Wellington Road. PRO reference RG13/1073 I have printed them off because I have no idea how to email you an image of them - maybe someone can help!! Love Mandy :)

Lorraine (Lorr)

Lorraine (Lorr) Report 11 Sep 2004 16:27

Thank you Mandy. It does look like them you know. I'm just cagey on Henry, probably (Harry) who I've got the war record for. They say was 23 when he died in 1918, he's 4 on here but that could be an error. I know my Mum used to say my Granny was from Liverpool - so I do think it's them........ Thank you so much for taking the time luv Lorr x x x (Just wondering who Margaret Leyland was now) ?

Unknown

Unknown Report 11 Sep 2004 16:32

Lorr, I'm so excited that I've found something for someone!! I thought it too much of a coincidence because of the names - Maggie for Margaret, Kitty for Catherine, Harry for Henry, Jim for James. Anyway, if you want to trust me with your address, email it to me and I'll post the prints to you. Love Mandy xx PS: Don't forget some young men lied about their age to go to war, so they could have thought he was 23 when only 21.

nanny Bunchkin

nanny Bunchkin Report 13 Sep 2004 12:33

Hi Lorr,please could you advise me on how you went about obtaining the army records?is there a web site or an address i need to write to,ive been trying for a long time to find the army records of david thomas bird born 1926,beleived to have lied about his age to get into army,he left army in 1963/65.ant help or advice would be very much appreciated. thank you. debbie

Unknown

Unknown Report 13 Sep 2004 16:24

Debra Army Personnel Records Enquiries about information from Army personnel records should be made to the appropriate address below: Officers or Soldiers whose regular or reserve service ended between 1921 and 1997 Army Personnel Centre HQ Secretariat Historical Disclosures Mail Point 400 Kentigern House 65 Brown Street Glasgow G2 8EX I have not used this service, but I believe there is a fee involved and that you may have to wait several months before you receive anything. nell

Ian

Ian Report 14 Sep 2004 11:53

Lorraine, In case it helps - Soldiers Died in the Great War shows: Rifleman S/13065 H Edwards 1 Bn Rifle Brigade Born Southampton Enlisted Liverpool Residence Southampton Died of wounds 24/10/18 Ian

Lorraine (Lorr)

Lorraine (Lorr) Report 15 Sep 2004 00:48

Ian - sorry with G/C playing up I've only just popped back in. Thank you for that info luv Lorr x x x

nanny Bunchkin

nanny Bunchkin Report 15 Sep 2004 11:58

Thank you Nell for the address,ill give them a try and see if they can help. thanks again. Debs.x