Genealogy Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

Jumped ship?

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Leanne

Leanne Report 10 Sep 2004 19:04

Hi I have a british great uncle who 'jumped ship' when the ship he was working in arrived in the USA from Hull, Yorkshire C1930. I was originally told that he emigrated and spent nearly a year on and off searching immigration records in the USA. Does anyone have any idea what the best way is to try and look for him? I know needle in a haystack comes to mind. thanks Leanne

Unknown

Unknown Report 10 Sep 2004 19:09

Leanne You could ask for someone with access to American records to check if he appears anywhere. If he "jumped ship" he may not have entered the country officially. Also, he could have left and gone anywhere else from America (just to cheer you up!) nell

Sharon

Sharon Report 10 Sep 2004 20:20

Leanne, Exactly the same thing happened with my husbands grandfather ,he sailed from Hull and jumped ship in America, I went onto the Ellis Island site and typed in his surname and initial,it brought up all his details and those of all the other passengers on the ship.I cant remember the address for the site but Im sure if you just put Ellis Island into google you will find it. Sharon