Genealogy Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

Technical help needed

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Sue from Wakefield

Sue from Wakefield Report 10 Sep 2004 19:03

I have just bought some more credits for 1837 and when I view the pages it is blank except for a little square containing a red x in the top left hand corner. Whats all this about and how come I can't view anything?? Also I've received a search from St Kitts today in my e-mail addie and bl**dy hell I erased it before I read it!! Can I get this back anyway Help!! Sue xx

cazzabella

cazzabella Report 10 Sep 2004 19:25

Hi Sue, I had a similar problem on 1837, and I had to download the veiwer again. I don't know how or why it went or where it went to, but one day it was there, the next it was gone! Do you have a 'trash' folder in your mailbox, for deleted mails which you can retrieve if you delete them by mistake. I use h*tmail which does, but another of my web-based mails doesn't, so once they are gone, that's it. Sorry I can't be of more use, best wishes, Cass

Sue from Wakefield

Sue from Wakefield Report 10 Sep 2004 19:33

Ta for that Cass. I downloaded Windows SP2 and have had nothing but trouble since!! Maybe the SP2 has cocked up the viewer. I will give it a go. Thanks alot hun Sue xx

Kim

Kim Report 10 Sep 2004 19:35

See the other thread about problems viewing pages after sp2 update , worked for me!

Carla-Marie

Carla-Marie Report 16 Sep 2004 00:11

I am not satisfied with 1837Online cos when you pay for the units, you are using them up for nothing when it comes to viewing the ones to you could not find on. What a waste of money. But good news is on FreeBMD, there is a new Images Viewer section for free, not fully transcribed but better and more names than FreeBMD Index or Ancestry.com! Hope you find that useful. Caz

Val wish I'd never started

Val wish I'd never started Report 16 Sep 2004 00:14

if you were using outlook express there is a deleted messages box just click on it and you will see deleted emails

Judy

Judy Report 16 Sep 2004 05:57

Sue.... The latest Service Pack for Windows XP—Service Pack 2 (SP2)—is all about security, and it’s one of the most important service packs ever released. It provides better protection against viruses, hackers, and worms, and includes Windows Firewall, Pop-up Blocker for Internet Explorer, and the new Windows Security Center. Beings you downloaded the Microsoft Windows SP2 update there are a few changes in your settings that you might want to do before uninstalling and reinstalling your viewer....If it doesn't fix the particular problem you are having, if nothing else, these things should be checked off anyway for other reasons. Try changing the following settings in your Contor Panel as well: 1. Click on START. 2. Click on CONTROL PANEL (Windows 98 users have to click on SEARCH and then CONTROL PANEL.) 3. Click on INTERNET OPTIONS. 3.. A box appears with labeled tabs....click on the ADVANCED tab. 4. Scroll down to the subheading SECURITY. Make sure the following items have a check next to them: - Allow active content from CDs to run on my computer. - Allow active content to run in my files on my computer. - Allow software to run or install even if the signature is invalid. -Empty temporary internet folder when browser is closed. - Use TLS 1.0 Under the subheading MULTIMEDIA, make sure all are checked off EXCEPT "show image download placeholders." This item should not be checked. There are also two things you can check on the site page you are viewing.....look for the thin gold bar that may appear above the site page....if there is a gold bar you need to click on it to allow certain activities on your PC....usually once you visit a site you won't get the gold bar again after you've allow permissions. Also, try unblocking a restricted website by clicking on the small red cirlce with the (-) through it located at the bottom right of your screen. You can get a better idea of what and how SP2 works by visiting the Windows Microsoft Update site where they explain it all. http://www.microsoft(.)com/windowsxp/sp2/default.mspx Remember to remove the ( ) from the address above! Judy