Genealogy Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

Where was Mildenhall Station, Ely in the 1861 cens

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Peter

Peter Report 9 Sep 2004 16:11

I am trying to find the whereabouts of my great-great-grandfather in the 1861 census; he was working as a platelayer on the railway line being built from Ely to Norwich, and he gives his address as "Mildenhall Station, Ely" on the certificates of his children born around 1861. The station cannot be in Mildenhall itself because the town was in Suffolk whereas Ely was part of Cambridgeshire; anyway Mildenhall did not get a railway until much later. Presumably the station was named after the nearest main town even though it was across the county border, but it may subsequently have acquired another name. Has anyone come across it in the census districts in the south-east corner of Cambridgeshire?

Unknown

Unknown Report 9 Sep 2004 16:23

Peter Google "Mildenhall Station" and Ely - lots of sites come up. nell

Peter

Peter Report 14 Sep 2004 13:43

Thanks, Nell, but I tried that already and all I got was the modern Mildenhall Station in Suffolk plus Ely Station in Camridgeshire. However, I have now found on a Victorian map "Mildenhall Road Station" which was across in the border in Cambridgeshire between Burnt Fen and Sedge Fen. I think it was later renamed for the reason that it was confusing and it may now be Shippea Hill Station. At least I am going to look up Ely Trinity in the 1861 census in the hope of finding my people.

Chris Ho :)

Chris Ho :) Report 14 Sep 2004 14:00

Did wonder this myself, Peter, thinking about my train journey, from Cambridge to Norwich!. Think it is Shippea Hill, then Lakenheath Or Brandon..