Genealogy Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

Records on CD

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Angela

Angela Report 9 Sep 2004 13:44

I am new to the family tree research and I am thinking of buying the parish records CD's as the two parishes are quite a distance. Has anyone got any advice on these, pros and cons. Thanks Angie

Carol

Carol Report 9 Sep 2004 13:47

Depends who they are produced by. Also you need to check the sources because some have jumped on the bandwagon to make money and dont give a hoot about accuracy. I have come across some that are pure fiction. Some are indexed, and some are not. Same with censuses, I just bought 2 1841 and there are lots of images but no index. Have you tried ordering the films from you LDS family history centre.

BobClayton

BobClayton Report 9 Sep 2004 14:14

Angie a few on here have bought them. I got mine from http://www.twrcomputing*co.uk/ It's ok (west riding and notts) and seachable but far from complete many parishes are not covered at all. Check the web sites for coverage. Bob

Phoenix

Phoenix Report 9 Sep 2004 14:26

As others say, quality can vary wildly. These are almost certainly transcriptions rather than original images. They may be original work, or scanned images of a printed volume produced years ago. They may be complete, or based on extracts. A reputable publisher is going to provide you with the details of dates covered and where the info came from. If the price seems reasonable to you go for it, but bear in mind that your people may not have been in the parish for generations and they may not have been church of England, so are not always recorded in the records. Brenda

Christine in Herts

Christine in Herts Report 9 Sep 2004 14:27

You can also get the Archive CD Books CDs. They aren't cheap, aren't necessarily indexed but tend to be images of original source documents and books. They work with Acrobat - pdf files of a high quality. They explain their pricing policy very clearly on the site. They are also as careful as they can be (so far as I can tell) to be clear about what is or is not on a CD. I haven't got the url to hand but you'd find it via (eg) Google - or maybe some other kind soul will put it up before I get home? I have already succumbed to the Winchester Marriage Allegations and the Devon/Cornwall maps (and enjoying both) and I am trying to decide which of the census CDs I fancy but am prepared to do without rather than bankrupt myself buying all the ones which would be relevant to the family tree! ;-) [does that makes sense?] good hunting Christine

Angela

Angela Report 9 Sep 2004 15:56

Thanks everyone for your advice