Genealogy Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

DARENTH ASYLUM RECORDS / LMA

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Rose

Rose Report 9 Sep 2004 10:18

Hi, Has anyone successfully obtained details of people who were in Darenth Asylum in Kent. My great grandparents were there on the 1901 census and both died there. I know the records are held at the LMA but they charge £35 an hour to research for you. I wanted to know how easy/difficult it might be to obtain records and how expensive. Many thanks for any information. Rose

Carole

Carole Report 9 Sep 2004 10:42

If you don't get any replies, I can ask at Dartford Library for you. Carole

Rose

Rose Report 9 Sep 2004 10:52

Thanks very much for the offer Carole. I will wait and see if anyone else answers but if not I would be very grateful for your help. Rose

Bob

Bob Report 9 Sep 2004 11:13

Hi Rose, a bit of background info., if you haven't looked already: Go to the Rossbret Institutions Site http://www.institutions.org.uk/ and look up "Asylums", "England", "Kent" or paste this in your address line: http://www.institutions.org.uk/asylums/england/kent_asylums.htm Quite a lot of info. about Darenth, but no data records. Good Luck !

Phoenix

Phoenix Report 9 Sep 2004 13:45

Hi Rose Are LMA charging £15 per hour because the records are closed, or because you can't get there in person? If the latter, Lyla has a rainy day LMA look ups thread somewhere on these boards. Brenda

Phoenix

Phoenix Report 9 Sep 2004 13:47

It's on the Records Office Board and I've nudged it up.

Rose

Rose Report 9 Sep 2004 16:30

Thanks everybody. I will check out the site and the Records board. I have just checked with the LMA site. They actually charge £35 an hour for research on your behalf and you can apply online. However they may only have administration records rather than patients records for Darenth Asylum. I will have to look into this further. Thanks again. Rose