Genealogy Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

help/advice please

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Jacqueline

Jacqueline Report 8 Sep 2004 14:59

I'm trying to locate 2 relatives : Levi Hardman brn 1845 in Rhodes, Middleton, Lancs and his brother Benjamin Hardman brn 1839 in Rhodes, Middleton, Lancs. I can find them on the 1871 census but then they vanish. I can't find them on any later census, either UK or US. I have also searched for deaths and marriages but none appear to be them. Any ideas where to look next?

Maxine

Maxine Report 8 Sep 2004 15:06

Hi There Is it possible that they emigrated? I have rellies that went off to the USA, and then came back ten years later. The other option would be to try parish records for the area to see if you could find any evidience of marriages deaths or baptisms related to them after 1871. The other alternative is transcription errors - you may want to try some wild and wacky variations of their names on the 1881 census (that has worked for me too!) Regards Maxine

Jacqueline

Jacqueline Report 8 Sep 2004 15:08

thanks, will give that a go!

Tracey

Tracey Report 8 Sep 2004 16:21

hi jacqueline, i live very neary to that area if you are not close by i would be happy to go and look any records or info up for you tracey x