Genealogy Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

getting records!

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Kay

Kay Report 8 Sep 2004 11:09

Reading every ones messages you all sound like pros. So i hope you can me. How do I go about getting birth and death records of my family members? thank you

Guinevere

Guinevere Report 8 Sep 2004 12:09

Hi, If you look in the resources centre on this website there is an excellent article on getting started. You'll find the link on your home page. Gwynne

Sandra

Sandra Report 8 Sep 2004 12:17

HI KAY WELCOME ON BOARD, if you type website into the search box it will bring up various sites members use, you can also go to the family record centre in london to do lookups for births and marrriages deaths from 1827 onwards. and your local library will also hold various info, there are also records offices in towns that have some of the parish records etc. alsso the www[.]familysearch[.]org remove the brackets is also a good site to start with. happy hunting sandra

Christine in Herts

Christine in Herts Report 8 Sep 2004 14:12

Hi Apart from the above... I expect that, amongst other sites you'll find this one: www.*ukbmd.*org.*uk (remove *) which has lots of well-organised links to genealogy-interest sites. I've also found quite a bit of useful stuff simply by putting combinations of names/places/dates into (e.g.) Google. It doesn't always work - and you often have to trim down the results by putting in a few "-" terms - but it's worth a try. And, of course, when you're after specifics and can give the right detail, there are a number of very kind folks on this and the "Records Office" board who enjoy unravelling other people's problems and looking up other people's lost ancestors - but they do need to be given time to do it! good hunting! Christine

Unknown

Unknown Report 8 Sep 2004 16:09

Welcome aboard. http://www.gro.gov.uk/gro/content/ is the government site on which you can order birth, marriage & death certs online, once you've got the index reference. nell