Genealogy Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

slapewath cottages, Guisborough, Cleveland

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Queenie

Queenie Report 7 Sep 2004 19:49

Does anyone know if Slapewath Cottages are still there. They should be around the area of the A171 Guisborough to Whitby Moor Road.Also are the nearby farms of Hollin Hill and Round Close Farm accessible.

Christine

Christine Report 7 Sep 2004 20:28

Hi Amanda Slapewath is the smallest place you could imagine but it does have one of the best pubs in the area - I am less than 5 miles away. There are a few houses but I don't know if the cottages are still standing but there is definately a row of houses. Don't know about the farms but if you like I could go and have a look and tomorrow at work I will make enquiries as one of the girls I work with is born and bred in Guisborough

Queenie

Queenie Report 10 Sep 2004 15:56

Thanks for your reply Christine. I have been to the area a few times, my husband is from up there, Skelton, but he doesnt know alot about the cottages and this was before I got into family history and we stayed in the pub there one year. We are going up in October to specifically photo places in the family.Thanks for any help.

Christine

Christine Report 10 Sep 2004 21:14

Hi Amanda I am from Marske - I used to have my own business and decorate cakes - have delivered wedding cakes to the Fox & Hounds on many occasions. I work with someone whose father knows a lot about the area so let me know if you require any history. Have a good visit to the area - I am looking forward to October - I have previously unknown relations arriving from Australia. Let me know if you need any information from this area - it will make a change for me to help someone as I have received so much help from people on this site. Best wishes Christine

R.B.

R.B. Report 10 Sep 2004 21:19

HI AMANDA, I LIVE IN GUISBOROUGH- THERE ARE SOME COTTAGES NEXT TO THE PUB,NEXT TIME I GO THROUGH I WILL CHECK THE NAME OF THEM IF YOU LIKE. CHEERS, LIZ P.S. NOT SURE ABOUT THE FARMS AS I AM QUITE NEW TO THE AREA.