Genealogy Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

Nurse girl?

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Vanessa

Vanessa Report 7 Sep 2004 17:35

I am sure this has been asked before... I have just found my great grandmother aged nine, living with her uncle, described as nurse girl. What is this, please?

Carol

Carol Report 7 Sep 2004 17:48

Not sure, but as she is living with her uncle, she could be helping to look after a younger cousin.

Carol

Carol Report 7 Sep 2004 17:51

Where in Somerset are you Ness? I am in Yatton.

Judith

Judith Report 7 Sep 2004 17:53

Usually Nurse Child refers to one which has been fostered out - perhaps her natural parents had died or were unable to care for her.

Vanessa

Vanessa Report 7 Sep 2004 17:55

Thanks, Carol and Judith. There were younger cousins and as her parents had a habit of off-loading their children at around ten you're both right! Many thanks. (I live in Bruton, near the Dorset border.)

Carol

Carol Report 7 Sep 2004 17:57

Yatton is a village between Weston S Mare and Bristol

Unknown

Unknown Report 7 Sep 2004 18:06

Hi Ness, sorry don't have any idea about your question but was intrigued to see where in Somerset you are ... just down the road it seems, I'm in Frome! Mandy :)

Patricia

Patricia Report 7 Sep 2004 19:00

So am I, in Frome, that is Pat

Vanessa

Vanessa Report 7 Sep 2004 21:17

Pat and Mandy, perhaps we should try to get together sometime?!

Helen

Helen Report 7 Sep 2004 22:36

Mandy & Patricia, I used to live in Frome!!! I now live in Austin, Texas. Went to Oakfield Secondary modern school. Left there in 1970 aged 16. I'm not going to be rude and ask how old you are but would you have known me?

Unknown

Unknown Report 7 Sep 2004 22:48

Hi Helen! I will be very bold and reply on behalf of Pat as well, because we are BOTH Plymouth girls really! I've been in Frome since 1989 but you would need to knock the '1' off your age as I was only 6 in 1970. I think Pat has been here longer but I'm sure she will answer for herself! Oakfield is now a Middle School as we have a 3-tier education system here in Frome (apart from the Catholic Primary school which both mine and Pat's children attended, and where we were both governors). Ness, would be nice to meet sometime, Pat belongs to a family history group that meet in Frome library; I'm sure she will let you have the details.