Genealogy Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

Your experience is needed.......

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Karen

Karen Report 7 Sep 2004 13:29

Hi, I'm trying to trace my fathers side of the family (PETRY) and all I know is that my father was born in Hammersmith (1942), his father was called Maurice Petry (I know he married a Margeret Foster in Carlisle but can't trace marraige!!) My grandfather was from London and had two sisters Myrtle? & Dorothy. Cencus info is too early and I can't get any more info from any living person - Advise please!!

Karen

Karen Report 7 Sep 2004 13:58

Hi Karen Have you tried finding your Grandfather or his sisters births on 1837? Fingers crossed there shouldnt be many people with your surname. Good luck hunting. Karen

Karen

Karen Report 7 Sep 2004 14:07

Thanks.. do you mean 1837online? I have tried this but not sure when they were born and you can only enter PET !!! I tried to find my grandfathers marraige on there and didn't have any luck...

Carole

Carole Report 7 Sep 2004 14:24

Unfortunately, there isn't much of the 20th century indexed onto free sites yet. You are either going to have to wait some time for freeBMD to have these records on (or volunteer to help, which might make your wait shorter), or be prepared to spend ages (& ££) searching through the 1837 site until you track them down. I have never been to Kew, but I would think it will be cheaper to spend some time there searching (depending on how far away you are) as an alternative to doing the seach online. Are you sure no-one has any old certificates lurking in the back of a drawer to help you on your way? Good luck, I'm afraid you are going to need it. By the way, there are 48 Petry's in London (or born in London) on the 1901 Census (on Ancestry, so far, though it is incomplete at present). If & when you get that far back, give me a shout & I'll look them up for you. Carole.

Karen

Karen Report 7 Sep 2004 14:51

Thanks Carole I have managed to obtain a list of all current Petry's in the UK along with thier addresses, do you think it's worth writing to them to see if they know of any connections? Do you think this is a bit cheeky? What would you think if you suddenly got a letter through your door asking about your family?

Carole

Carole Report 7 Sep 2004 15:46

Personally I'd check on GR to see if they've registered! I sent someone in Dartford a letter, on behalf of someone in Australia, but I never got a reply, even though I'd enclosed an SAE. Others on here have had success though. How about an advert in a local paper? Again, varying success rates.. Carole

Zoe

Zoe Report 7 Sep 2004 16:19

it may be worth you checking SCottish records to trace their marriage - Carlisle is right up near the border and it may well be they got married north of it so the records would be seperate to those on 1837 online

John

John Report 7 Sep 2004 16:33

Have you used the GRO indexes on fiche yet? It might prove easier than online.

Karen

Karen Report 7 Sep 2004 18:06

Karen Don't know if this is the marriage you require: Per 1831 records: Qtr: Q3 Yr: 1940 Groom: Maurice Petry Bride: Foster District: Border Volume reference: 10b Page no: 1609 You should be able to order the certificate directly from the GRO. From the certificate you should then be able to work out some more ancestor's details. With kind regards Karen

Karen

Karen Report 7 Sep 2004 19:01

Karen Have just double checked the entry I advised you of from 1837. I have looked up the surname Foster for the same period and there is an entry for Margaret who married a groom with the surname Cowler or Lemaire or Petry. With kind regards Karen

Karen

Karen Report 8 Sep 2004 10:36

I just want to say a big thank you to all that have helped me, the marraige Karen found is the correct one (karen I've emailed you direct). The most interesting part is the three names that Karen found Cowler/Lemaire and Petry as the Lemaire part fits into that side of the family, I'm really grateful (and excited) ......... LOL Kx