Genealogy Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

Finding adopted persons

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Sane Jayne

Sane Jayne Report 7 Sep 2004 12:48

hello, Can anyone give me some advice on how I can go about finding an adopted person. It is my aunt, who is the sister of my mother. We have her original birth certificate from 1940. Any tips would be gratefully received. Thanks Jayne

Lynne

Lynne Report 7 Sep 2004 13:24

Jayne If you know what area she was born, the local social services office may be able to point you in the right direction. Lynne

Unknown

Unknown Report 7 Sep 2004 18:34

There is apiece on Adoption, in the Getting Started section of this website. go to the homepage and scroll down, its under Genealogy Resources. nell

Seasons

Seasons Report 8 Sep 2004 16:04

I would definitely contact the Social Services department or Adoption Agency who dealt with the adoption to see if your aunt has been in touch for information. They may have a name/address for her but if not do leave your own contact details and that you'd like to be in touch. Lookupuk*com has an adoption section and I believe there's an Adoption match link too. Also missing-you*net you can leave a message. Perhaps Channel 4's page 151 Lost Touch too. Add your aunt onto your own family tree with her original name (doesn't break rules as the name doesn't now exist) - I know one adoptive parent looked on site so as to be able to furnish info if asked. Maybe aunts children may be researching and looking for their mother's parents, siblings. You could also put on Trying to Find here and on Friends Reunited. I saw an entry for half sister on FR which gave me a bit of a thrill - haven't met her yet though.

Unknown

Unknown Report 8 Sep 2004 17:38

Hi Jayne As someone else said it's also worth contacting Social Services for the area she was born in or the whichever organisation handled the adoption - they keep records of enquiries made about the person on file for if the adoptee contacts them. David