Genealogy Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

Computer-wise-- memory

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Bobtanian

Bobtanian Report 7 Sep 2004 09:54

In view of the problems in the site appearing to be slow, would this have any bearing on the PC memory/speed?. while reviewing pages,( involved in quizzes etc) is it better to use the "back" button, or to click on the heading,reload the page, ie general topics. I know you cant "back" if you have added a reply,but have to reload using the heading. Would too many(web) pages in memory,slow the PC down? Thanks for any reply......Bob

Judy

Judy Report 7 Sep 2004 13:45

Bob...... Not emptying cookies cache and temporary internet folders does, indeed, eventually slow down your PC if left to accumulate. Spyware will also add to the problem if not found and removed as does lack of PC maintenance. As for the slowness of GR, that is more than likely because their server(s) can't handle the volume of people visiting the site, particularly during peak hours when people are home and online. Judy :0)

Bobtanian

Bobtanian Report 7 Sep 2004 17:24

I must admit that I am nearly running on empty, I have a half gigg of ram, and a 3.5 gigg drive.I get low disc space warnings, but as the disc is a "small" one and am running XP and a couple of other progs there is not much spare room!, I have a need to get a bigger disc installed.( I have one in a box, its the opportunity that is lacking.)( I do get to empty cache, and cookies regularly, and internet folders) thanks for the replies everyone, Bob

Judy

Judy Report 7 Sep 2004 17:41

Ahhh, Bob, you're talking about a different type of memory. I'm not sure how old your machine is but you could upgrade your PC by adding more RAM and either adding a larger hard drive or adding another hard drive - so that you have two hard drives (so that your PC has more space.) To speed things up for now, if you have a lot of icons showing in your icon tray (bottom right hand corner of your screen) you should prevent the ones not being used from starting up when the PC is turned on by making those changes in your start up menu. Those icons are using system resources because the programs are running in the background.....which will also slow your PC down. Judy

BobClayton

BobClayton Report 7 Sep 2004 18:52

Your computer would have to be in a real state for is to seriously affect connection speeds and would show it with other applications. Even the oldest PC is many times faster than your connection. Consider a 1Mb broadband, USB2 moves data round at nearly 500 times faster. Your hard disk ( considered a bottleneck inside the PC ) can be nearly 1000 times faster. Even having the fastest broadband is like drinking a barrel of beer through a straw. Bob