Genealogy Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

The Folly Colchester

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Supergran

Supergran Report 6 Sep 2004 07:57

I wonder if anyone living in Colchester knows The Folly in the Parish of St Mary at the Wall(First ward). My rellie Samuel Willis is listed as living there in 1881 with his family. I've done a Google search & found pictures but can't find any history. I believe it may be a museum now Thanks Brenda

Derek

Derek Report 7 Sep 2004 10:45

Have asked my brother about this, its interesting because we used the "camp folly" from Butt Rd end to go to school at St Johns Green during the war. Its still there. I am sure its not what you want. The water tower "Jumbo" was called a folly, but someone living there? Have you discovered the "Minories", Sir Isaac's Walk, in the garden there is a folly. Again to live in ? Could be St Mary's though. Have a look at www. camulos*com/virtual/guidee*htm There's you in Cyprus, Brenda, me in southern France and Lyla in my hometown, c'est fou. Please come back, I even have 2X Willis in my tree! all the best, Derek

Lucky

Lucky Report 7 Sep 2004 11:49

going slightly off topic, but Derek, we lived right opposite that camp folly in Butt Rd., for a year, small world isn't it. Diane.

Supergran

Supergran Report 7 Sep 2004 15:16

Thanks Lyla have emailed you direct Thanks too Derek On the census image it is actually listed as THE Folly & the next two lots of families lived in Balkeine ? Lane & Bentalls Yard so I image my Folly must be in that area. Frustrating isn't it when you live so far away & can't have a look personally!!! BTW your Willis' didn't come from Heybridge did they? Regards Brenda

Lucky

Lucky Report 7 Sep 2004 18:43

More than likely BALKERNE, there is still the hill, a gardens and a passage. These are all situated near the Mercury Theatre according to my present day map. Diane

Lucky

Lucky Report 7 Sep 2004 20:42

Hi Camp folly is a passage between Butt Rd and St Johns Green School, it is at the top end(to town) near the junction with the new police station. Probably no more than 100 yards from the junction. There are several roads around the school including West St. South St and Chapel St. Diane ps Just had a look at my Essex 1861. in that parish are: Crouch St Wellington Place Hospital Lane Lexden Rd Chapel St Mill St/Butt Rd. Maldon Rd Then it also has Balkerne Lane,Crouch St Balkerne Lane,West side Balkerne Place in which appears a , what looks like, Lords land folly, then comes the hospital(essex county) going onto Lexden Rd Hope thats some help Diane

Lucky

Lucky Report 7 Sep 2004 21:54

Can't see that on my 2002 AA map. Not to say it's not there. Nothing in the index ony a The Terrace. I'll definately be interested in what you come up with. I lived in a road off of Layer Rd., before we bought this house, only for a year. There is a lot of army estates around there fairly new houses. Diane

Supergran

Supergran Report 8 Sep 2004 06:35

Thanks folks I think I must have jumped to the wrong conclusion in assuming this was a building rather than the name of a road. Still intrigued though! Brenda

Supergran

Supergran Report 11 Sep 2004 09:58

There is a slaughterhouse also mentioned on the census image. Don't know if this might pinpoint it Brenda

Derek

Derek Report 11 Sep 2004 12:31

G'morning to Lyla, Brenda and Malcolm, sorry not to be able to help much, PC probs, but I think St Peters church is on the London road, bottom of hill in Lexden. Its quite possible that the parish of St Peters stretched into town. I cannot find a map with parish districts. However the main St Peters church was at the top of North Hill, with its own parish. Lyla or Malcolm, just a thought, I have not been in "The Hole in the Wall" since early 60's, but pubs have all the knowledge in the world, why not pay a visit and ask the bartender who knows it all! Have one for me. Brenda, for many years our neighbours in Maldon Rd were also named Willis (No 124), we were at 122. Cannot put names to them, but an interesting point, it was part of St Mary's parish. Not very helpful and no, not Heybridge. In the 40's and 50's there was a Bentall's Yard at the back of Bentalls Hardware store in the High St, whether it was named after the store or not, I really don't know. I left Colchester in autumn 1952 to go to sea, and have only been back for short visits to see kinfolk. I still have two brothers in the town, so not completely adrift. Malcolm, find out when Jumbo was built, please. It may have some bearing on the date of Brenda's folly, ie 1881 census. Gotta go folks, my regards to you all, Derek

Derek

Derek Report 16 Sep 2004 11:40

Thanks Malcolm, brain dead thats me, where are we talking St Albrights in Lexden Rd? What was the name of church that was situated in the High St between Red Lion and Hippodrome theatre (which probably was'nt there at that time). Sorry to ask these questions, but am waiting on several books about Colchester from Amazon. regards Derek

Shirley

Shirley Report 16 Sep 2004 20:42

hi derek i live in Colchester, but can't think what church you are thinking of. I know of 2 churchs at either end of the high street. i can check out stuff if you need it. can't promise it would be quick as i have 2 young children, but i will give it a go. shirley

Shirley

Shirley Report 16 Sep 2004 22:49

may be i am to young. i can't remember any underground toilets. lol. i think i better get to know my own town better. shirley

Lorraine

Lorraine Report 17 Sep 2004 18:22

I've nothing to add but I'm also following this thread with interest and a certain amount of nostalgia - I'm an ex-Essex student and lived in Crowhurst road, (which was St Mary's parish) so the Hole in the Wall was one of my watering holes! Is it true that Jumbo had been bought by someone who wanted to build flats in it?

Derek

Derek Report 20 Sep 2004 21:34

Sorry for the absence, but major probs with PC. Thanks Malcolm, yes St Runwalds. Like Shirley, I have to say I do not remember the underground loo's, but they were apparantly in front of Travis's the butchers and a shop called Newsons that sold childrens schoolwear, and is still there. Lorraine, i do like your question about Jumbo, a good idea, but how true? I was born/bred in the town, c1936 and still learning, received a couple of books about the town today, one on walking the wall, the other an instruction book for teachers of history of the town. Still waiting for more. Good health to Colchester, Derek

Shirley

Shirley Report 29 Nov 2004 13:57

just realised that you can read your old threads and found this one again. yes jumbo has been brought in the view to turn into flats, but the applications that have been put forward have been rejected. so still empty, although they have just put some xmas lights up around 3sides that are good, so still has some use. shirley

Sharon

Sharon Report 8 Dec 2004 12:44

Hi there - Anything historial about Colchester and my ears prick up!! So if I can help. I will check out the electoral records if you so wish or Benhams street directories here in the local library - some of the road names changed end of 19th century and early 20th -so could look at them and see whether this was the case if you are still not sure about where the road was. let me know.