Genealogy Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

Aunt on death certificate

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Cazziemc

Cazziemc Report 5 Sep 2004 18:21

I have a death certificate of my grandfathers sister, Annie Gallagher, died aged 13 months in Garston, Liverpool in 1893. The informant is stated as Eliza O'Neil, aunt, present at time of death. I thought that Eliza's maiden name would either be Wignall (Annies mothers maiden name) or Gallagher. However, the only likely candidate I can find who fits the bill is Eliza O'Neil, at the 1881 census, with the following info:-------------------------------------------------------------------------------- Household: Name Relation Marital Status Gender Age Birthplace Occupation Disability Christopher O NEIL Head M Male 32 Ireland Labourer Ironworks (Manuf) Eliza O NEIL Wife M Female 28 Ireland Margaret O NEIL Daur Female 7 Garston, Lancashire, England Scholar Chrisopher O NEIL Son Male 5 Garston, Lancashire, England Scholar Mary O NEIL Daur Female 2 Garston, Lancashire, England -------------------------------------------------------------------------------- Source Information: Dwelling 10 Vulcan St Census Place Garston, Lancashire, England Family History Library Film 1341890 Public Records Office Reference RG11 Piece / Folio 3719 / 73 Page Number 3 I then found the following on free bmd that seems to fit the bill:Marriages Jun 1874 -------------------------------------------------------------------------------- Ford Eliza W.Derby 8b 846 Martin Catherine W. Derby 8b 846 O'Neil Christopher West Derby 8b 846 Scott Michael Richard W. Derby 8b 846 My grandfather, who, if Eliza is really Annies aunt, would be his Aunt, was called Christopher. My main question is, was it usual for people to state that they were relatives, i.e. Aunt, if they weren't actually related? I don't want to presume she is related if she wasn't. Does anybody have any ideas? Thanks and best wishes, Carol.

Unknown

Unknown Report 5 Sep 2004 19:03

Cazzie She could be an aunt by marriage (ie married to an uncle of the dead person), or a great-aunt, perhaps. nell

Carol

Carol Report 5 Sep 2004 20:02

There are people around today who are not sure what relation they are to certain others. My partner has thought his grandmothers sisters were his aunts for year until I put him right. So it is not beyond the realms of possibility that the aunt may not have been an aunt at all. Also many chidren call friends of the family auntie and uncle and I am sure they did the same then.

Seasons

Seasons Report 6 Sep 2004 09:18

I've got one that said she was an acquaintance on his death certificate, yet is married to him on childs marriage certificate!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Pat

Pat Report 6 Sep 2004 10:43

Julie You should have put that in the very long amusing deaths thread, it made me giggle. Sorry Cazzie for hijacking your thread, I couldnt help it. Didnt every family have that, when I was growing up most children had close friends of the family as aunts and uncles, I used to get a bit confused which were really related, and were not a big family. The other explaination is very plausable as well, aunt through marriage a into the family. Pat x