Genealogy Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

Help needed importing my tree to GC - Please.

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Jubal

Jubal Report 3 Sep 2004 09:05

Hi All, I have been trying for some days to upload my 'latest' tree to GR. I have deleted my 'old' tree so that I am the only person on it. Created a new .ged file from my software program (Legacy 5 DeLuxe), using gedcom 5.5 and Ansi, (like it tells you to in the help section). Gave the file the same name as mine, yet when I try and import it, it says basically that no name in my .ged file matched that on my tree. I have emailed GR support and not received a reply (so what's new!). I have had this problem before and the last time it took 6 weeks before it was sorted out for me. Does anyone have any advice please?? Best Wishes Julie

Roy

Roy Report 3 Sep 2004 11:58

Julie I regularly update my tree without problems. I'd have thought you could name the gedcom what you please. The normal route is delete your existing tree, import a gedcom file, then hit rebuild. This doesn't always look correct but when you log back in the changes have been made. Roy

Jubal

Jubal Report 3 Sep 2004 14:21

Hi Marion, I meant import not export (silly me)..DOH. Julie

Jubal

Jubal Report 3 Sep 2004 14:23

Hi Roy, I have just tried again but I am still getting the error message saying my name could not be found in the gedcom. I have tried to copy and paste the exact message but it won't let me. I have also tried disabling my Norton security in case that is interfering, but it's makes no difference. Julie

Naomi in SW

Naomi in SW Report 3 Sep 2004 14:57

Hi Julie, Can't offer any practical help but my friend Eileen can never upload her tree to GC. She has tried so many times and when they respond to her request for help they tell her it's her gedcom yet it updates fine to every other site she's registered on. I definitely think it's GC's problem. Naomi

Jubal

Jubal Report 3 Sep 2004 17:51

Thanks for that Naomi, I tend to agree with you :-) Julie

Amanda

Amanda Report 5 Sep 2004 01:01

Hi Julie, I am interested to hear what the outcome of this is. I have the same problem as you, which is why my tree has only one person on it (me) as I have tried to upload my updated tree to GR, and am having the same trouble. I assumed it was GR, doing there regular updating and decided to leave this for a few weeks but nothing is still happening. Hope GR get there fingers out and get this sorted soon. Amanda P.

Jubal

Jubal Report 5 Sep 2004 08:59

Hi Amanda, Glad I am not alone! IF I ever get a response from GR I'll let you know what they say. Best Wishes, Julie

Bobbunz

Bobbunz Report 16 Feb 2005 08:51

I uploaded/imported a small version of my tree - about 100 names - AFTER many failures, and eventually reading the instructions for the GR site. This helped me contact several other researchers and we have started to exchange information. So, being adventuresome, I tried loading ALL of the 12 000 plus people on my database onto GR. This resulted in a timeout error message. I again read the notes, and deleted all adopted or bio parents, leaving everyone with just one set of parents - FAIL. I deleted all LIVING people - too fragmented and again FAIL. I tried using just direct ancestors and two generations of descedants (to help linking with other researchers' work), checked that MY details were correct, deleted the details but kept the names of the LIVING, and tried this much reduced listing of about 1 000 souls - FAIL. So now i'm here. GR have not responded in any way - not even acknowledging that they have had a query from me. Lets have some help here guys and gals - you need us to help you expand your membership, and that requires NAMES. We have them, but we can not get them onto your site

Unknown

Unknown Report 16 Feb 2005 09:59

I had a similar problem so I emailed GR about it. Estelle asked me to send the Gedcom to her and she uploaded it for me. I have always found Estelle and Michelle to be very helpful. Jim

Trudy

Trudy Report 16 Feb 2005 11:59

Hi, can't help technically, but I managed to update my tree two days ago with no problem. Trudy